Little Creek Calls

2014 Coues Deer Kill Distances Poll

2014 Coues Deer Kill Shot Distance  

183 members have voted

1. 1. What was the distance of your 2014 Coues Deer kill shot?

• 0 - 100 yards
    • 100 - 200 yards
    • 200 - 300 yards
    • 300 - 400 yards
    • 400 - 500 yards
    • 500 - 600 yards
    • 600 - 700 yards
    • 700 - 800 yards
    • 800 - 900 yards
    • 900 - 1000 yards
    • 1000 + yards
    • Hunted but didn't Kill

I personally enjoy the ole spot and stalk method. Its a challenge (sometimes rewarding) to see how close you can get to one. Shoot it long or far, you still have to hike in there to get it.

Yeah what Becker said. My coues kill distances are 396,325, 220, 671 and last years was 850. Out of those the 220yd shot was the hardest just because of situation.

Oh no, not the hunters vs snipers topic...ugh. Let's talk about something a little less controversial like politics and/or religion!

The poll didn't mention whether or not you were shooting from a side by side or which broadheads you were using... J/K

100% comes down to individual ethics. 1,000 yds or 100 yds, taking a shot that you shouldn't (according to your ability) is the real issue here. We have all heard the apparent gun battles play out in the hills. Boom, boom, boom, pause for the reload.... boom, boom, short pause, boom.

Respect the game you are chasing by being proficient with your weapon of choice at the distance you are comfortable with.

• Like 1

Interesting topic. Back in 1980, the first time I went to Colorado on a Mulie and elk hunt,many the following 4 years I sure wish I had been better skilled at LR shooting over 300 yards. Would have had several more mounts. I LOVED archery hunting, and because of the up close and personal nature and skill involved to accomplish that!!!

Went on a Coues hunt on the San Carlos about 12 years ago. My Indian guide told me he was trained in the army to shoot 1000 yds with open sights and when we glassed up a good buck at 800 yards with multiple does below him and lots of open country between us he gave me a rash for not feeling comfortable shooting at that distance with my scoped .270. I made a decision to do something about that.

Part of the hook for me in Coues hunting is the LR locating and stalking, but I've now shot 4 @ 500+ yards and 1 at 650yds because I felt like I had a better chance for success shooting where I was at on an opposite hillside than going down in a canyon, up the other side full of brush and hope to still find him or have an open shot. I've found that for me, practicing a LOT at 500-600 yards has increased my confidence of a humane kill and much better success rate then trying to relocate the animal after a home as mentioned.

The 407" elk and the 202" Mulie would have never happened for me without being confident and able to shoot LR. Now if I can just get out of the 90's and over into the 100's on a Coues. Got a Dec tag this year in 31 and hoping to make that happen this year.

My Indian guide told me he was trained in the army to shoot 1000 yds with open sights and when we glassed up a good buck at 800 yards with multiple does below him and lots of open country between us he gave me a rash for not feeling comfortable shooting at that distance with my scoped .270.

how much firewater did he drink before he told you that?

Oh he was sober and serious. I'd love to still be able to do archery, but 2 torn rotater cuffs have dissuaded me.

I really don't understand why certain folks feel like those with a different skill set are less than what they choose to do. I have found great satisfaction in the hunt whether 100 yards or 650 yards on a kill shot.

Farthest was 420 and closest was at 15yards. 15 yard shot was kind of interesting....a look down the side of the barrel shot. Dang deer came out of know where!!!