Little Creek Calls

2014 Coues Deer Kill Distances Poll

2014 Coues Deer Kill Shot Distance  

183 members have voted

1. 1. What was the distance of your 2014 Coues Deer kill shot?

• 0 - 100 yards
    • 100 - 200 yards
    • 200 - 300 yards
    • 300 - 400 yards
    • 400 - 500 yards
    • 500 - 600 yards
    • 600 - 700 yards
    • 700 - 800 yards
    • 800 - 900 yards
    • 900 - 1000 yards
    • 1000 + yards
    • Hunted but didn't Kill

I am really curious at what distances everyone is successfully shooting Coues deer. You hear or read lots of stories and it seems that the distance is getting farther each year. Just wanted to take a poll and get more of a feel for what is actually happening.

Maybe try first shot hits. Most stories seem to have guys shooting until they finally hit it and then everyone congratulates them on their fine marksmanship.

• Like 7

Of the three bucks we killed in AZ this yeaR, first one was killed at 301, second was shot at 80 yards, and the third was shot at 200 yards!

• Like 3

Love the negative long range comments already.... Rifle or bow. If you can't make the shot don't take it... Im not sorry that I feel completely comfortable taking a 100 yard shot with my bow or a 1000yard shot with my 338. lapua. Doesn't mean I always take the longest shot I can but sure as heck if that's my only opportunity I'll take it. "Don't condem the people that can do because you can't"...

• Like 15

I am not being negative, I love that you can shoot up to a 1,000 yards good for you, I could never do that or really want too. I am not that skilled. but is that really necassary? if you are out of shape or have a disabilty I can understand this mentality but why would you want to? where is the hunt in this? I am a bowhunter to me it's all about how close you can get I have shot 2 javelina at 1 yard, a deer a 5, and have touch a pig and 2 elk with my bare hands I would have never been able to do this shooting long range, but I could careless what people think, I just have never gotten into the long range thing, not disrespecting you I just don't get it to me it's about how close i can get without the animal knowing I am there it's the rush to me it's about getting up close and personal.

• Like 7

My two Coues 330 and 540. My cousins I helped with a few years back was 370. I prefer to get much closer on any animal, but it is what it is.

There is no argument that the vast majority of the hunting community believes that long range hunting is not hunting. I agree completely with boone and crocket on this. Even the CEO of berger bullets agrees with them. Its just a fact that there is no sport in it. Now to decide what exactly is the distance where it becomes no longer sport? I say 300 max after that put out targets.

Just because you can doesn't make it a good idea.

• Like 4

My deer this year was at 530. I would rather shoot closer but as most of you know in coues country this may not be possible! I feel 100% comfortable taking a 500 yard shot and to me it still feels like a hunt! It all lays in the eye of the beholder I guess.

• Like 4

Seldom drawn don't start trying to compare kills... Distances or numbers... If you choose to not play the long range game; great! That's your call. But the guys that can do it let them have it. They are skilled marksman. Just because you feel animals should be killed with a knife by hand and 3 inches away doesn't mean the guy that can kill a deer with his rifle at 900 yards or the guy with his bow that shoots antelope at 120 yards are wrong. Just means they got their shoot together.your ethics don't make you right or wrong they just make you hunt how you hunt and you have zero effect on the next guy.

• Like 5

The reason in starting this poll was not to start an argument between bow hunters and rifle hunters. It was not to see who made the longest or most ethical kill. The reason I did this poll and just for one year is I wanted to see what the most effective range for shooting coues deer was for 2014. As I thought might be the case the numbers show 200 to 500 yards to be that vulnerable range for coues deer. I tried to hunt for closer shots like mule deer for a few years but found myself not skilled enough and going unsuccessful. The past few years I have tried for the 200 to 500 yard range and have been able to kill 3 years in a row. I wanted to see if it was just me or if others hunting numbers supported my thoughts on yardage. Sure there might be a few that are better stalkers and hunters and get closer and there will be a few who have invested the money into equipment that can constantly kill deer at 600 + yards and those who get lucky with the occasional long shot. Archery hunters have different seasons that make closer shots more possible and also make it harder to compare to rifle seasons. Thanks to everyone for participating and commenting. It gives me a better idea on how to practice for my next hunt and how far I can close the distance to before my chances for success will start declining.

• Like 4