Little Creek Calls

2014 Coues Deer Kill Distances Poll

2014 Coues Deer Kill Shot Distance  

183 members have voted

1. 1. What was the distance of your 2014 Coues Deer kill shot?

• 0 - 100 yards
    • 100 - 200 yards
    • 200 - 300 yards
    • 300 - 400 yards
    • 400 - 500 yards
    • 500 - 600 yards
    • 600 - 700 yards
    • 700 - 800 yards
    • 800 - 900 yards
    • 900 - 1000 yards
    • 1000 + yards
    • Hunted but didn't Kill

I am curious what percentage of long range (1000 yards or more) hunters actually take the time to walk(1/2 mile or more) to where the animal was to look for blood? Unfortunately I think that would be a rather low percentage. Otherwise why not get closer for the initial shot?

Unless you see the animal pile up, how else are you going to find the game? And since 1/2 mile is only 880 yards, you are still 120 yards from the game animal, unless it ran straight towards you for that 1/2 mile and then piled up within view. I would think it is much faster to follow a blood trail than perform a grid search for a downed animal that you are unsure where it went.

Even at close range (as close as 6 yards), I head to where the animal was standing and follow a blood/tracks trail. Even when I see the animal go down. It is always a learning experience in the woods to follow a trail. From a pin head size drop every 10', to a fountain of gushing arterial blood that looks like you painted with a mop.

With that being said, I prepare for long shots year round, whether I draw a tag or not. But...my longest shot to date on big game has been a measly 488 yards. Deer was DRT, and did not even take a single step. I saw him drop where he stood, and started after him. When I got to where he was, he was gone (or so I thought). I looked for about 5 minutes, and then ranged back to the rock outcropping I shot form....whoops. I was still 60 yards from where he dropped. Kept going, and there he was.

I have also helped others track game after they could not find it. Always following the trail after finding out where the animal was initially shot. It took a little bit, but I have been extremely lucky and have not lost a game animal yet. Even my 12 year old daughter followed her javelina last year from the point of impact to the pig 30 yards away. She has a really god eye for blood. I was quite proud.

• Like 2

I always blood trail too for the practice. I also practice shooting at longer (archery long) ranges just in case, even though I dont want to shoot past a certain distance. I dont limit my range for any reason other than for me the challenge is in getting close.

• Like 1

I have know problem with you guys that can shoot 1,000 yards I can't I don't have the talent don't want it. Tell me when you sneak up on an animal at 1.000 yards are you worried it will smell or hear you? when you see a animal at that range and have to sneak up another 970 yards that's usually when the hunt and adrenaline starts kicking in, you shooters at this range are amazing but when does your hunt begain?

I have know problem with you guys that can shoot 1,000 yards I can't I don't have the talent don't want it. Tell me when you sneak up on an animal at 1.000 yards are you worried it will smell or hear you? when you see a animal at that range and have to sneak up another 970 yards that's usually when the hunt and adrenaline starts kicking in, you shooters at this range are amazing but when does your hunt begain?

My hunt begins when I turn in my application. It continues all spring/summer as I practice, practice, practice and scout, scout, scout. It continues as I prepare in the months before a hunt. It keeps going in the fall as the air turns crisp and the animals are being watched and photographed. Then, after about 7 months into my hunt, I can actually pursue the game animal I have been dreaming about for years, months, weeks, and days. A few days before season opener, I am out again scouting in preparation for opening morning. Then, God willing, I get to take a game animal sometime in the next 7-10 days. Is my hunt over? Absolutely not. It is now just beginning my hunt for the next time I draw a tag and get the blessing to be out enjoying what I love. Hunting is not just about the kill. It is the entire experience, anticipation, frustration, exhaustion, elation, and satisfaction of knowing you did everything you could for that one chance at filling your freezer and feeding your family, and also possibly hanging some antlers on the wall and some bragging rights and giving thanks to God for His creations.

And if you get to spend it with family, the hunt continues when your kids are born. So my daughter's hunt began 12 years ago. And so far during her hunt, she has taken a javelina at 18 yards, and a bull elk at 160 yards. We hope to get her another tag in the next couple years. Until then, her hunt will continue with pursuing coyotes, shooting long range, getting some doves and squirrels, maybe a duck or two, bunnies, and whatever else we get the opportunity to chase and harvest.

If it takes being 30 yards from a game animal to get my blood pumping and adrenalin flowing, I might as well quit hunting. Personally, I get a rush seeing does in June, let alone a big buck or bull during hunting season from a mile and a half away.

• Like 12

Here are the distances of my 8 coues deer: All in yards, some are approximate based on ranging after the shot. All with a muzzleloader.

64, 210, 154, 30, 20, 40, 91, 50

• Like 1

I guess this is where this thread has gone, so I will throw in my 2 cents. I am 95% an archery hunter. I agree that the hunt starts when you get close to the animal. I can not tell you how many times I have been sitting at 200 yards and really have no care in the world about the animal busting me. 0 adrenaline flowing, just waiting, trying to figure out my next move to close the gap. When I hit the 120 yard mark, my blood starts pumping a little more and I know that one move can result in the animal entering my kill distance.

On the other hand, I got the long range bug a few years back, and put in quite a bit of time to get good with my rifle. I got into reloading, practiced my tail off, built a nice gun and started to understand ballistics. All this led up to a bull hunt where I planned on taking an elk at "long range." I decided that if I was going to rifle hunt, I wanted to make it a challenge. IMO shooting a few hundred yards with a rifle is really not a challenge. So I figured the way I would challenge myself was to get good at shooting long distance. I will admit that the "hunt" part was not nearly as exciting and I approached it completely different.

Instead of using the skills I use for archery, I now had to use my shooting skill set. Completely different skill set, but both take practice to achieve the end goal. IMO getting close with my bow is much more rewarding than shooting far with my gun. It is a completely different feeling. I enjoy shooting long range, and will continue to do it. I do not look down an long range hunting, it is a different beast all together though. Lots of skill involved in shooting that far, but not much skill involved in getting that close.

• Like 4

Ive never killed a coues deer. (I know....I know)

But my son has, hes got 2 so far, first buck he shot at 401 second buck 70.

neither buck we could get closer to.

i have no problem with people taking long distance shots, but before they do they must practice at those distances not just shoot and hope to hit their target....the same could be saide for short range too.

• Like 1

My hunt begins when I turn in my application. It continues all spring/summer as I practice, practice, practice and scout, scout, scout. It continues as I prepare in the months before a hunt. It keeps going in the fall as the air turns crisp and the animals are being watched and photographed. Then, after about 7 months into my hunt, I can actually pursue the game animal I have been dreaming about for years, months, weeks, and days. A few days before season opener, I am out again scouting in preparation for opening morning. Then, God willing, I get to take a game animal sometime in the next 7-10 days. Is my hunt over? Absolutely not. It is now just beginning my hunt for the next time I draw a tag and get the blessing to be out enjoying what I love. Hunting is not just about the kill. It is the entire experience, anticipation, frustration, exhaustion, elation, and satisfaction of knowing you did everything you could for that one chance at filling your freezer and feeding your family, and also possibly hanging some antlers on the wall and some bragging rights and giving thanks to God for His creations.And if you get to spend it with family, the hunt continues when your kids are born. So my daughter's hunt began 12 years ago. And so far during her hunt, she has taken a javelina at 18 yards, and a bull elk at 160 yards. We hope to get her another tag in the next couple years. Until then, her hunt will continue with pursuing coyotes, shooting long range, getting some doves and squirrels, maybe a duck or two, bunnies, and whatever else we get the opportunity to chase and harvest.If it takes being 30 yards from a game animal to get my blood pumping and adrenalin flowing, I might as well quit hunting. Personally, I get a rush seeing does in June, let alone a big buck or bull during hunting season from a mile and a half away.

Lance and Huntharder are spot on!! The hunter decides what's enjoyable. I bow hunt and rifel hunt. This last weekend I was just out calling coyotes, and in the middle of the day practicing at 700 yard on a plate. First time I hit that far. Took me 4 shots with 10-12 mph winds to hit a 12" plate. The other 3 shots I missed it only by inches, but thanks to a lot of guys on this forum helped me get my load on my .270. To me that's hunting just getting there was a thrill. 300 yards and 400 yards is cake!. This January I was out with the bow chasing a nice buck that was rutting, 300 yards was nothing exciting, until I watched my brother put a stalk on it, because it's the mentality of choice of weapon you're using at e given moment. Just in November I shot my tiny forker, which has been many years since I've taken a deer, at 300 yards and believe me the rush was unreal!!! I love both bow and rifle, close and far for both weapons, I just love to hunt.

• Like 3

Don't undedrstand the question SELDOM DRAWN. When does my hunt start. I agree it starts when I fill out an app. The adrenaline has already started with me and I bet a lot of other hunters. Just the chance to go into the field with a hard to get tag in AZ is enough to get my blood going. It's the promise of making another memory for me or another hunter I may have been drawn with. The opportunity to maybe see that once in a lifetime animal whether it be 1" or 1200yrds. I to shoot both archery and rifle. I have been lucky to kill with both and have found that the adrenaline is pumping either way. Maybe different with a bow as you are closer, but still exciting. I have killed at 500yrds plus and was so excited that I filled my tag but also I have the hunt memorized liked yesterday and the ardrenaline still wells up when I think about it.

Murfys69law,

I am really not disrespecting you long range shooters I have said it before I can't and don't want to shoot this far I can watch a giant Mule deer, or a 380 inch class bull

all day long from 1'000 yards with know adrenaline they can't smell you or see you, I have bow hunted most of my life I really don't understand how you guys can get excited or your blood pumping from these ranges. to me it's all about being up close and personal, I think it's cool you guys get excited at these ranges I just don't get it.

• Like 1

I see record book bulls and deer every year from long distances. Just seeing them always gets my adrenaline flowing even though I may not be making a stalk with gun or bow. I guess I "just don't get it" that is not exciting to you also, if you are a hunter or wildlife viewer

• Like 1

Murfys69law,

I am really not disrespecting you long range shooters I have said it before I can't and don't want to shoot this far I can watch a giant Mule deer, or a 380 inch class bull

all day long from 1'000 yards with know adrenaline they can't smell you or see you, I have bow hunted most of my life I really don't understand how you guys can get excited or your blood pumping from these ranges. to me it's all about being up close and personal, I think it's cool you guys get excited at these ranges I just don't get it.

Different strokes for different folks. I love my CJ-5 but I don't like quads. Been on a deer hunt with cousins back east where they use dogs. Not my thing but it is theirs. I shot both side lock and inline muzzle loaders. To me side lock with open sights is more challenging but I feel I can kill more effectively with the scoped inline. Bow hunting with a compound vs. recurve or long bow is the same argument. I just started with a compound two years ago and love to shoot and hunt with it but for me personally I will not use a crossbow. Nothing wrong with a crossbow but we all make choices on how we want to hunt. We satisfy ourselves and as long as it is not illegal and we are not beyond our personal abilities, nothing wrong with it.

We as hunters should strive for as quick and humane kill as possible. How many buffalo were killed with Sharps rifles back in the 1800's? They were quite effective at long range and basically the market hunters wiped out the buffalo to help control the indians. Technology has advanced and hunters attitudes have changed where we are more involved with conservation and having a renewable resource. We all work for the game we love to hunt and the way we hunt them.

• Like 2

Red Sparky I am with you on the cj-5, I have a 78 with a v8. Personally, I just love to hunt it does not matter the style of weapon as much as the hunt. Admittedly, I am primarily a bow hunter that will change the channel when the hunting channel shows an elk being taken at 1100 yards or not open the thread on a forum talking about an 800 yard shot at a deer. Filling a tag is not as exciting or interesting to me as the actual hunt. My opinion only, I am sure there are many that feel quite the opposite.

idgaf--Mine is a 78 with the 258 straight 6. Parents bought it in 1980, second owners, and been in the family ever since. Top off, windshield laid down covered in mud was a girl getter in high school. I agree with your hunting opinions totally. I was getting tired of shooting deer at 500 yards with the .270 and my dad and uncle started with muzzle loaders at that time. The draw was also a factor in our weapon switch. Hunted with the muzzle loader for around 20 years, both side lock and inline, and then the wife said the best thing she could have. "Honey you have $1000 to spend on any gun you want". I could not think of a gun I wanted as the gun cabinets are pretty full so I got a bow. Love bowhunting! I have a 70 yard range set up in the back yard. So I still enjoy shooting long range and would not pass up a shot long range if I was 99% sure I could make it. It is just ones choice on what fulfills them is all I was trying to say.

idgaf--Mine is a 78 with the 258 straight 6. Parents bought it in 1980, second owners, and been in the family ever since. Top off, windshield laid down covered in mud was a girl getter in high school. I agree with your hunting opinions totally. I was getting tired of shooting deer at 500 yards with the .270 and my dad and uncle started with muzzle loaders at that time. The draw was also a factor in our weapon switch. Hunted with the muzzle loader for around 20 years, both side lock and inline, and then the wife said the best thing she could have. "Honey you have $1000 to spend on any gun you want". I could not think of a gun I wanted as the gun cabinets are pretty full so I got a bow. Love bowhunting! I have a 70 yard range set up in the back yard. So I still enjoy shooting long range and would not pass up a shot long range if I was 99% sure I could make it. It is just ones choice on what fulfills them is all I was trying to say.

I am with you on the practice and the draw. I now choose my hunt number by the best odds. I do prefer my bow over any other weapon.