jgraffaz

Any one every stashed hunting gear-supplise in the back country?

I have been thinking about burying some 5 gallon buckets in the back country with a water tight seal so I can stash supplies and gear back there on all my scouting trips so I can have a few extra luxurys that I would not usually wast the space or weight packing in on the hunt....anyone ever done this?

You have something I don have? You are supposed to tell me that has none, so I too can have yours! I wail cherish what you give me of yours, so that way i will have something too. Don't post it, just PM me too give me your stuff, I mean my stuff.

I am confused on a number of levels
  • Like 1

Nope never done it. What sort of luxuries? When I am on a backpack hunt the reason is to be minimalistic. Makes the hunt more memorable to me. What I would rather do is base at a road and then hike in 3-4 miles for a few days of hunting and then come back for luxuries. Better not to plan on something being there and then it is not. Animals, weather, or other humans can find and take what you planned on having. Let me explain a situation that happened to me over 30 years ago. I went into the Pecos between Santa Fe, NM and Las Vegas, NM when I was in high school for an overnight fishing trip. Down hill all the way to the river about 3 mile hike in which meant 3 mile hike uphill back to parking lot. There was no potable water in the parking area. I went by myself in a 1978 Jeep CJ-5, which I still have, with the top and doors off. The only thing I had in there was one gallon of water tucked up tight behind the drivers seat under a rag in a washed out milk container. No radio, nothing in glove box, nothing but that one gallon of water. I did not purify any water before I hiked out so was pretty thirsty by the time I got to the parking lot. You guessed it some dirt bag took the whole gallon. They could not just take what they needed but took the whole gallon. Was an hour drive back to any drinkable water. Different than leaving something out in the middle of nowhere but shows what can happen if some dirt bag finds your stuff.

I found someones food stash one time while hunting the Kaibab. It turned out to only be corn and about 900 years old. Pretty cool. Needless to say I did not eat it.

I found several stashes years ago in northern cali around a lake. Several ammo boxes with everything you could imagine, inflatable boats, outboard motors, etc. It had all ben out there for quite some time. Motors locked up boat dry rotted.

I have done it many times some of the more remote areas we would hunt in August for archery deer there wasn't water anywhere to filter, some trips 3 or 4 of us would haul water in it was a live saver I have even done it on a few elk hunts.Why wouldn't you?

I have done this a couple of times. Once when I thought back pack Javalina hunting would be fun we packed in three days of food on a scouting trip and stashed it in a bear bag in a tree. Nothing touched it and I would do this again. Since your scouting, why not leave something behind for when you get back to hunt. It is important to pick a really secluded space, preferably off trail and out of sight.

Once on a backpack hunt in Nevada on 70 mile trip we stacked some food and an extra can of gas about mid way where a 4x4 "road" crossed the trail. Nothing bothered our food and it was handy to have plenty of gas for the last 1/2 of the trip. Should have stashed more booze though..... Next time.

Of course never leave anything behind. If you end up in a different spot I believe it is imperative you return and retrieve your stash.