Sign in to follow this  
CJNAZ

Question about tanning a snake skin - updated with pics

I've read thru previous posts about tanning rattlesnake hides and will be going with the 50/50 mixture of Glycerine/denatured alcohol.

My question is about the rattle itself. I want to leave the rattle on the hide. I've got a 3 footer and a 5 1/2 footer.

Do I soak the rattle in the mixture?

Update - I made these from the smaller critter. Went ahead and removed the rattles while tanning the hides. First attempt at leatherwork with a hide. Really enjoyed the challenge and it is a keepsake that should last a long time.

post-11163-0-78031800-1425663417_thumb.jpg

post-11163-0-80463600-1427396090_thumb.jpgpost-11163-0-51180700-1427396092_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

You pretty much answered your own question when keeping the rattle I always pin it up on a board and brush it once a Day for about a week it has always worked for me

• Like 1

Try Corn Huskers Lotion sometime to tan your snake hides. Pin them scales down and salt them until dry and then work them over quite a few times with Corn Huskers Lotion. Avoid getting any on the rattles. They turn out super pliable and last forever.

If you tan the skin with the rattles attached, it will the rattle a little darker and quieter. It does seem to make it more durable.

You can just pop the rattle off at the last button and then glue it back on later.

Added a couple pics to O/P. All the info I found on this forum helped. Thanks.

i thought you was suppose to roll the skin up and place it in a jar of the solution, can't remem how long

I'm asking I don't know and would like to

I've heard some people use Anti-Freeze. Never have but maybe it works.