Sign in to follow this  

green tip ammo

if i ax nice will somebuddy splain green tip ammo? i shoot a lotta .223 ammo. in my remington 788 rifle and an ar-15. all hollowpoints and some soft points. even have a few plastic tipped 40 grainers i loaded specially for 'splodin' coyotes. i've loaded a few fmj's over the years. but what is a green tip. guess i've never seen one. seen ap's and stuff. loaded a buncha 30 cal military ap's with the hardened steel rod inside once in my .300 because i was pissed off about some stuff. but ain't ever seen a green tip. are they a steel jacket? do they have a steel rod in em? or are they just an fmj? what's the deal? Lark.

From my understanding they have the steel core to be armor piercing, but had the green tip ( I would imagine for recognition of the different types of ammo.)

• Like 1

M855 is simply the military's steel tipped ball ammo. It has a fmj with a lead core and a steel tip. There is not a steel rod through the entire length of the projectile hence it is not a true armor piercing round. It weighs 62 grains. It has a green tip. NATO designation for the same projectile is SS109. It is a cheap, inexpensive round to produce. The 55 grain military ball ammo with a fmj and lead core is the M193.

As mentioned above all the fuss is mute now since the ATF announced it has pulled back on its proposal to make it illegal. All it did was move a whole bunch more ammo into the hands of gun owners and made the merchants who had the stuff on hand a ton of money.

A great resource if someone wants to learn about .223/5.56 ammo is the Ammo Oracle on the AR15 website.

Here is some more info on it too. I have some ammo that says SS109 on the outside of the box but it is not green tip but will attract a magnet.