Sign in to follow this  
ElkDan

New guy here

Hey I just registered on here and so I figured my first post ought to be introducing myself...

first off I have a sickness that can't be cured, I don't know if there is an official diagnosis for it but many refer to it as elkaholism...

I believe there are 4 seasons, elk season, post elk season blues, application season, and scouting season

Yes I like to hunt other species as well but none get my blood pumping like elk, I primarily chase elk with a bow although I've been known to cheat once in a while and chase them with a rifle..... I call it cheating but honestly I'm better at getting elk with my bow than I am with a rifle. I love calling in rutting bulls close!

I hope to learn about and share info on elk hunting areas and tactics and heard this is definitely the forum to discuss elk hunting in AZ. I haven't drawn a tag yet for AZ but hope to one of these years soon.

I grew up in Idaho and that is where I first started chasing bulls but I now live in Utah. I drew my LE tag here a couple years ago and took a nice bull so now I'm just not so patiently waiting for my waiting period to end so I can once again apply here. I still hunt both states as much as possible (OTC) and put in for others hoping chase some big bulls in limited entry units. I'll be there in AZ for the first time this year helping out a buddy on his first Arizona tag so I'm pretty excited about that.

I know the elk hunting is great in AZ but if you have any questions about elk in UT or Idaho hit me up and I'll do my best to help you out.

Ok enough with the introductions now for the real reason everyone gets on the forums...here are some pictures of some of my favorite elk hunts

post-13342-0-37224300-1428550039_thumb.jpg

post-13342-0-09150200-1428550089_thumb.jpg

post-13342-0-46229600-1428550247_thumb.jpg

post-13342-0-07730300-1428550309_thumb.jpg

post-13342-0-17308300-1428550558_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Was that top bull in a magazine? I feel like I have seen it before.

Nice Bulls an welcome to the site, where in the gem state are you from?

Thanks, I hunt with Eltaco who is now on here as well. He got the 6B archery tag, which if we have a good time on it this year I may just put in for it next year and should draw with 7 points.

cmbulldog, I'd be glad to tell you what I know. I hunted the Manti unit in 2013 and took the 2nd bull from the top on that hunt. Had a great time, found lots of elk but nothing huge. I was very satisfied with the hunt though and thrilled with the bull I got. Ut is tough for NR if you want one of the top tier units but there are some good ones like Manti that have large herds and are not terrible points wise to draw. PM me if you want more info

Was that top bull in a magazine? I feel like I have seen it before.

Nice Bulls an welcome to the site, where in the gem state are you from?

Yeah, both the top bulls were in last year's issues of Extreme elk magazine. Top one even made the cover, I got lucky in 2013 and scored on both of those bulls 10 days apart.

I grew up in Blackfoot Idaho but spent time in Pocatello going to school at ISU and then worked about 4 years in Boise after school.

First off welcome to the best hunting site on the web. Second you have a basketball team worth of elk and that first one is a dandy. Third and most important to me are u a Ute fan or a BYU fan?

First off welcome to the best hunting site on the web. Second you have a basketball team worth of elk and that first one is a dandy. Third and most important to me are u a Ute fan or a BYU fan?

So far I'm impressed with what I've seen here on this site, lots of hunters trying to help out other hunters. Thanks for the compliments on the elk, like I said, I have a sickness, I try and spend at least 20+ days chasing elk with a bow every year.

As for the third item, I know better than to answer that question.... I might need your help in the future and know if I answer that one wrong I could be cut off :-) Fans here are brutal.... Just ask Max Hall ;-) I grew up in Idaho so I didn't get involved in the rivalry here much... Besides neither of them has an elk hunting team so I don't follow them too close

Yeah max hall didn't go to my school but Alex Smith did, go Utes. I played baseball at u of utah for two years.

Last year my dad and uncles hunted in 6b and went 4 for 4. This was during the late rifle hunt but all they saw was Bulls, never even saw a cow. Pm me and I can share some details. Also ,I got diagnosed with sickness as well, elkaholism. I call it "elk in my veins" cause there is nothing better than anything related to elk or elk hunting.

Yeah max hall didn't go to my school but Alex Smith did, go Utes. I played baseball at u of utah for two years.

Last year my dad and uncles hunted in 6b and went 4 for 4. This was during the late rifle hunt but all they saw was Bulls, never even saw a cow. Pm me and I can share some details. Also ,I got diagnosed with sickness as well, elkaholism. I call it "elk in my veins" cause there is nothing better than anything related to elk or elk hunting.

haha, yeah and things didn't turn out too well for ol Max Hall, Alex is doing pretty dang good. I do root for both teams here it's good to see the U in the Pac 12 playing with the big boys and getting it done.

I'll shoot you a PM about 6b, we need to figure out the roads there, looks like they are everywhere up north but not sure what all is open. We like to set up a base camp and pack in where we can to get away from the crowds so I'd love to get your thoughts on where we might be able to do that. We'll do some scouting trips down there to learn as much country as we can before the season opens.

• Like 1

I think I remember the top 2 bulls as well. The top bull was a co Otc tag that your almost didn't even go on to focus on the mantis tag. Am I remembering that right?

Welcome... At least throw a guy a bone and give me some photo credit for that toad in the first pic :)

I did my best to properly capture his hugeness.