Sign in to follow this  
James Gleave

23 north early rifle.

Was lucky enough to draw this tag, its been a lot of years in the wait. Just curious if anyone has been on this hunt in the past? Will be doing alot of scouting in the months to come. Anyone have pictures from this hunt? Still cant belive that my brother and I both drew this hunt, Its going to be a once in lifetime experience.

• Like 2

Congrats, James!! I was fortunate to draw that tag with my dad in 2013 (I harvested the bull in my avatar and my dad shot a great symmetrical 7x7) and helped my 14-yr old cousin with the same hunt last year (it was all of 23 last year, but we hunted 23N and he shot a 6x6 fighting another bull). Be patient...you'll probably see a ton of animals. If it's cool enough, the rut in 23N can be amazing. It was a pretty wet hunt last year, so be prepared for that. The country in 23N is rough (unless you're further down by Haigler)...so be ready for a butt-kicking haul out. After hunting your hunt, be prepared to be completely happy waiting another 15 years for the same hunt...it's that much fun. I'll be up there 2-months after you for the general bull hunt (was blessed to draw with 0BPs!), so leave some for me!!

• Like 1

Lots of good bulls and good rutting action. Be picky and by picky I mean above 350.

I had that archery hunt in 2013 and killed the bull in my avatar. He scored right at 370. my dad was lucky enough to draw the archery tag this year as well. Helped a guy on the rifle hunt last year and he killed a 365 bull in there. It's an awesome hunt. Be patient because you'll see a ton of bulls. Hold out for the big guy!

Thanks guys a 350 plus bull is what I want. We will be hunting hard the whole time were out there. I will post pictures of what we come out with. I know a bit about 23 south from deer hunts, but not too much about elk hunts, Im supper happy about this hunt.

375 plus it is. Thanks for the support. I know there are plenty of good bulls in there, Ill hunt hard and hopefully go home big. Its been along wait for this tag.

Forgot to mention, anyone know a good butcher near the area. I did look online, and found a few butchers.

Miller's should have a trailer just up the road in Forest Lakes....they did a great job for my cousin last year. Pick up in Queen Creek...make sure you ask for a sample of the Jalepeno Cheddar Summer Sausage....

The places I knew in Payson have since closed....other guys might have recommendations there though...

Forgot to mention, anyone know a good butcher near the area. I did look online, and found a few butchers.

Miller's should have a trailer just up the road in Forest Lakes....they did a great job for my cousin last year. Pick up in Queen Creek...make sure you ask for a sample of the Jalepeno Cheddar Summer Sausage....

The places I knew in Payson have since closed....other guys might have recommendations there though...

Don't take to Millers unless you want your meat mixed with everyone else. I have a guy in young if you want his number

• Like 3

Congrats on the tag! My mom drew the tag as well! Her first elk tag and has been putting in for 15 years! Best of luck to you guys!

Regan

I have had one of my bulls processed by the guys in Young. They do a great job and for a great price. The only thing is they will not mix any fat with the ground elk. So mine all ended up very very lean. There will be great bulls all the way through the unit. Good luck.

Thank you guys for all the info, all is appreciated. Azwest16 congrats to your mom, hope to see you guys up there, good luck and hope to see you all get a trophy bull.

• Like 1

Congrats on the tag. I have the archery tag this year up there as well. Hopefully there is one less elk for your hunt ;) Heres hoping we get some rain soon; it's already looking pretty darn dry up there.