Sign in to follow this  
Viper

Which sights to put on new shotgun? Factory ones shoot high!

So, I decided to buy a dedicated turkey gun for this season, without investing too much money. I bought a Mossberg 500 Turkey 12 ga. model with X-full choke, 24" ported barrel, camo'd, and fiber optic sights. I took it out last weekend to pattern it and sight in. It shoots too high at 20 and 30 yards. The rear sight is already adjusted down as far as it will go. There is no adjustment in the front sight. After reading some other forums and reviews, it seems to be a common issue with these factory Mossberg sights. This is a bummer, 'cause I really like the fiber optic sights for my old eyes.

So my question is, what are some recommendations for sights? I see Truglo and Hi-viz make several models. I don't really want to spend more than $50 so a red-dot is out of the question for now. I am tempted to just take off the rear sight and use the front fiber optic sight only.

Thanks

I just purchased some of the truglo sights for my mossberg this year. They basically offer three versions, non adjustable plastic, adjustable plastic/metal, and adjustable all metal. I got the adjustable metal and plastic version for around $25. They work great and are easy to adjust but the front sight screws into your front bead hole. After shooting a few times to pattern/sight in the screw worked its was out and the front sight went flying off! If you get these, use some blue loctite.

I looked at the all metal version but they were $50. If I were to rewind 4 months, I probably would have just got a red dot. I think the red dots have more adjustability and you can find a decent one for under $50. I think Cabelas has a BSA red dot in their bargain cave right now for $30.

Finally, one of my buddies bought the Dead Ringer sights for his turkey gun for around $25 and is happy with them so far.

Good luck!

I have tried several other fiber optic sights including truglo and others and this one by Hi-VIS is the best. Its fully adjustable allowing you to sight in your shotgun and center your aiming point. Also they have great customer service, if you break your sights give them a call or send them an email and they will send you replacement parts free of charge. You can get them locally at Sportsman's, Bass Pro or Cabelas for around the same price as the link below from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000V2HCI/ref=s9_al_bw_g200_i1

I bought a mosberg 835 turkey model and put a 1 piece base and added a truglo red dot sight. Probably the best thing I have done. You can get her to a perfect zero at whatever range you desire. Cost is low around 100.00 I believe.

http://www.amazon.com/weaver-multi-slot-base-system-mossberg/dp/b00162sb3e

http://www.truglo.com/optics-red-dots/gobble-stopper-30mm-dual-color.asp?catid=52E3D7409570433EBF69FA2CBEB51CA6

My vote would also be for the Hi-Viz sights. They were a little different to look through at first with the rear sight having a hoop that holds the rear fiber optic pins, but I've gotten used to them now and like them a lot. They're also very bright. Just be careful with the front sight pin if you lean the barrel of your shotgun against a tree while out in the woods. As already stated, they should send you replacement pins if you break one.

Thanks for the input. The Hi-viz mentioned above looks good. I like the rear "ring" concept. I was also looking at this Dead Ringer Beard Buster. It gets good reviews. Sounds like it doesn't have much elevation adjustment though. Any experience with it?

https://deadringerhunting.com/product/beard-buster/

Shoot lower. You didnt say how high or did you shoot off a bench or a typical turkey shot.

I put the Tru Glo Tru Bead Dual Color sight on my daughter's Mossberg 20 ga and it works great. I also have several friends back in Iowa that use the Dead Ringer Beard Buster and swear up and down by them. Had I known about them a year ago, I probably would have went that way for her. Fortunately, my Remington 11-87 with Tru Glo works great. I did bust the front fiber optic back in 2008 right after shooting my bird (set gun against tree) and it took forever to get ahold of someone at Tru Glo customer service. I finally emailed them and told them I'd tried to call a dozen times and got no answer. I told them I was tired of it and if I didn't hear back from them, I'd give their competition my money. I got new rods within a week...

Thanks for the replies! I hit a few shops/stores the other night, looking for either the Dead Ringer or Hiviz Triviz (mentioned by Aamon of Little Creek Calls). My search ended at Bass Pro. They had several models of the Hiviz, including the Triviz. I bought that one. Mounting was pretty easy, although it requires some patience with the tiny hardware. The only quality issue I encountered was the double-sided tape was only one-sided. It appears one side was suppose to be stuck to the bottom of the front sight, but was dried up and fallen off. I think my fix is better. After threading the attachment screw into bead hole, I used black RTV silicone where the tape should go. I think that will hold for a long time. The sights seem rock solid and the front optic tube is very bright. I will finish sighting in/patterning this weekend. Oh...I also bought a lead sled. That light weight 500 beat me up last weekend. The first shot wasn't bad, but 2 - 6 killed me. Another thing I did last night...I removed the recoil pad and filled the stock with 3/4 pound of popcorn kernels :rolleyes: It was the only thing I could find around the house that had some weight to it and wouldn't make a mess. At least if I get stranded in the woods I can make popcorn ;)