My wife drew an early rifle elk tag after 15 years. Now we need to get her shooting a rifle larger than her trusty .243. I'm thinking of installing a muzzle brake on one of our rifles to cut the recoil for her. Even tho i've shot many rifles over 50 years, I've never owned or shot a rifle with a brake.

Can any of you tell me the difference between the ones I see that look like they are added to the end of the barrel versus the ones I see that look like holes in the original barrel? Pros and cons?

What is the rough cost of having one installed and do any of you have suggestions about gunsmiths that do it?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Bruce

You will find a reduced recoil with a break. There are many different types breaks. If you do a lot of prone shooting, you may not want ports on the bottom of the barrel, it will blow dirt in your face when you shoot. The sound will drastically increase (won't make friends at the range). There are times when I shoot my wifes .300 WSM that I feel the sound kicks harder than the recoil itself..

For smaller shooters it is a no brainer assuming they are wearing ear protection. When my 10yo shoots it, she has to have ears on (even while shooting on a hunt) but catch what I just said, when my 10yo daughter shoots the 300WSM.. Combine a break with a good recoil pad and you can tame just about any rifle IMO.

Have fun!! Congrats to you and your wife on the tag!!

I have both types of brakes. I have pictures of them in a different thread. I'll include a link:

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/40519-a-couple-of-new-muzzle-brakes/

This link also includes a review of the two different gunsmiths I used at the end of the thread.

If I recall correctly, both were in the neighborhood of $200 to install. I went with a Shrewd brake on the 7-08 because I wanted a smaller profile brake on the 7-08 and didn't need to tame the recoil as much as I would on a big magnum rifle. I think the biggest negative to this type of brake is the 360 degree ports will tend to kick up more dirt when shooting from a prone position. Again, this was not as big of a concern on this type of rifle.

I went with a Badger Thruster on the 300 RUM because I didn't mind the larger profile on this beast of rifle, and I wanted to bring the recoil down as much as possible. Mission accomplished as my 10 year old 85 pound son loves shooting this cannon. I think my .243 without a brake has more felt recoil than this 300 RUM. Yes, the people next to me at the range just about wet their pants after I fire off my first round, but that is half the fun. They make ear protection for a reason.

From what I have heard and read, a brake does not actually increase the volume of a rifle, it just re-channels the direction of the volume from in front of you beside you. But I'm sure other on here know more about that than I do. As the shooter, I don't believe I notice the volume change that much, but standing to the side of someone shooting it really makes a HUGE difference. In the field I carry a few pairs the cheap foam earplugs in the belt waist compartment of my pack for quick access.

• Like 2

Contact Southernxpress on here(todd)

He did a few for me

• Like 1

I did a bunch of research on several long range shooting sites and these brakes got very good reviews from everyone that bought one. I bought one recently for a rifle I'm building. The machining on the brake is very good. Plus you can't beat the price. Your smith can profile the brake to fit your barrel. David

http://www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com/Ported_Muzzle_Brakes.php

I have/had a few different rifles with brakes. My older daughter shot my .270WIN with a KDF brake for elk when she was 11 years old and very petite.

My younger daughter (also very petite) shot my .300RUM last year for her elk with a KDF brake.

My 6.5 SLR wears a Badger Thruster, and it barely kicks more than my .223.

I prefer a brake that does not have ports on the bottom like 8OWHUNT247 stated. The KDF does, and it works great, but eating sand and gravel sucks.

As for gunsmiths, I suggest Phoenix Custom Rifles.

KDF brake

029_zps9b332dcd.jpg

Badger Thruster brake

20150216_161508_zpsg4nedbz0.jpg

• Like 2

Guest 300ultramag.

some advice.

while teaching my wife how to shoot a rifle we worked up a really good .223 load. Now I knew on game day that she wasnt going to shoot a .223 for deer. So the 1st day of the hunt I asked her. Would you rather carry this heavier .223 rifle around or this really "lite" .270 she said the lighter one. I explained it had a little more kick than the .223 but just make sure you dont put your eye on the scope and you wont know the difference. Well she put down a pretty solid deer with the .270wsm and I asked her how the kick was and she didnt notice a the difference. Success. Muzzle brakes are all fun and games until you blow an ear drum. :P

• Like 2

I have only shot 1 animal with my 270 wsm. I really think there is no more kick than my standard 270 win. No brake on it. I have a Browning 300 win mag. No brake on it either. The rifle out of the box only wieghs about 5 1/2 pounds I think. With the scope, bipods and sling just a bit more. Sighting this in can be a bear. Kicks like a mule. I have shot 5 animals with it and never remember the kick. Only when sighting it in. I think this is common for most people. They are excited when hunting and don't even think about the kick. Did get 1 scope circle first time I shot it. Bled for 30 minutes.

Thanks guys for all the input!

I guess I have some more studying to do. Noise versus kick is surely a consideration. I've long been aware that recoil is generally not felt when hunting, but sighting in some guns can sure be torture.

Looks like I have a chance to buy a new in box Winchester M70 30-06 with BOSS for less than half the new retail price. I dont care about the BOSS, but since it includes a muzzle brake I would not have to modify one of my existing rifles. It's a classic model so at least the action is quite similar to the old pre-64 M70 I have altho the rifle is stainless and has a composite stock. Hopefully this will fill the bill. At least it will give us a chance to try a gun with a muzzle brake.