Sign in to follow this  
fdh88

Tips for consistency?

Another thing to consider is fatigue. My first 50 arrows are always dead on, after that they fall right and down due to fatigue and my form changing. Like everyone else has said, gripping the handle and lack of consistency are the most common mistakes I see.

One other thing that helped me is to just let the pin hover/circle over the bulls eye since it is almost impossible to hold it 100% still. Slowly squeeze the trigger so it's a surprise when it goes off. Also don't follow the arrow with your eyes or flinch as you do this. Lots of great tips in this thread.

^^^ Agree with this dude on the floating the pin, its a good tip I was taught when I started shooting the bow

As everyone has said do the same thing over the same way. I am like Mattys281 where I go over a list in my head every time I shoot. What I learned from throwing darts is do not fatigue yourself. You will start building bad habits if your muscles are tired and then they are very hard to break. You also have to be comfortable. I started with my bow on the lowest draw weight and practiced to get form and consistency down. Then I cranked the draw weight up slowly each week.

So if you are shooting groups consistently low and left then it seems consistent. Check your arrow rest and where the arrow nocks to the string since you have checked the sight. Have the nocks been spun so a vane is hitting the rest? I always check to make sure the nocks are aligned with the cock vane or feather and that is up so I know I am clearing the rest.

+ another vote for the fatigue. It's very easy, especially when you're new to the sport and very enthusiastic about it, to over shoot. I did it for years when I was a teenager and could never get over the 40 yard hump. At some point I got smart and started limiting myself to a max of 2 dozen shots per session and it also helped my shooting consistency level out. I shoot better now at 60 than I did at 40 back then.

Fatigue is a great subject. Lots of shooters start at 20, then shoot 30, then 40, then 50. The result is fatigue setting in as the shots get more critical. I shoot a few at 20 then jump to 40 or even 50. From there it depends on whim and what I want to practice. My 50 and beyond groupings are much better by skipping lots of arrows at short distance.

Three simple things that have worked for me, and for my son who took up archery this year. Every time (no matter what) you go through these three things in your mind, in this order-

Soft hand (holding the riser)

Center the pin (in the peep)

Squeeze it slow (slow enough that you are not necessarily expecting the arrow to come off when it does)

If your stance and anchor are good, you should shoot well with this check.

Good luck!

Stand close to the target and shoot with your eyes closed focusing on form and consistency.

Grip, anchor point, shoulder position and smooth release.

I'm going to take it a step further back...Are you certain your bow is set up correctly for you? Is the draw length correct? Is the weight easy to hold? Is the peep set up correctly?

Form issues are a huge next step. Grip must be consistent from shot to shot or your arrows never will group. Same goes for anchor point. These are non-negotiable. It really helps if you are not torquing your bow, but first and foremost is consistency.

The next think I would maybe look at is tuning. Is your bow tuned to the arrows? Are your cams, wheels in time/sych and within spec for your DL? DW? Does your set up require tiller or yoke tuning? Does your rest require microtuning? Are you certain there is no rest contact with your arrow after release?

These are all good things to think about if your shooting is not what you would expect.