Sign in to follow this  
nutzos16

unit 27

After 7 years of putting in for elk I finally got drawn for early archery bull. My plan was to hire an outfitter when this time would come. Little did I know of other financial Obligations I can't afford 6k to hire one. I'm just looking for anybody that is familiar in the unit that is willing to help. And I'm willing to pay as well I just can't afford 6k. I have a couple of friends that will be helping me out with the hunt. we will provide all meals and camp. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

6k for a guide? That seems high but I wouldn't know. Never used one. Do they really cost that much? What does the guide provide? Is a 350 + bull a guarantee? I know it depends on the hunter but damng that's a lot.

No guarantees on anything I mean it's hunting and I get it. But it's not even fully outfitted Its guided only. Yea 6k is too much

• Like 1

A guide provides hours, days, months in a unit. gas, food, knowledge, teaching skills, and hopefully an enjoyable experience. I've never hired one either so I'm not sure on cost but I'm sure some will run way more than 6k. Oh, and I'm not trying to start a guide vs DIY debate either :D I'll be keeping the bulls we find secret til December so hopefully my buddy can tag one or else I'd help. good luck on your hunt.

• Like 1

No guarantees on anything I mean it's hunting and I get it. But it's not even fully outfitted Its guided only. Yea 6k is too much

That's what I mean. Just someone to say there they are and you supply everything else is ridiculous. I have read that guides can run well into the 10s of thousands but for an elk hunt it just seemed wrong at that price. Especially for what this company offers.

A guide provides hours, days, months in a unit. gas, food, knowledge, teaching skills, and hopefully an enjoyable experience. I've never hired one either so I'm not sure on cost but I'm sure some will run way more than 6k. Oh, and I'm not trying to start a guide vs DIY debate either :D I'll be keeping the bulls we find secret til December so hopefully my buddy can tag one or else I'd help. good luck on your hunt.

I understand it's hours and days of work. I'm someone who does my homework as well. With it being that far away and not knowing the unit I'm a little worried not having enough time to pattern these elk

What about 1500.00? Drop camps a few miles off of roads can be had for 2000.0 with meat haul. I also know there are guides in 27 for under 4000. Take the money you would pay to feed a stranger and get in there yourself. Tag of a life time congrats.

• Like 1

Take a few weekends to go learn the area, study topo-google earth maps and so on. Being in Arizona make the time to go. Hopefully when your hunt rolls around the elk will be vocal. Locate and chase the bugles --music to my ears and many others on here-Primo Tag for sure. Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

If Your young go doit yourself ,have fun and kill a descent bull. If your older like me (59) get help or guided. .......BOB!

• Like 1

I've hunted 27 for 20 + years.Finding elk in 27 isn't that hard.The best time to scout is a week before your hunt.If you don't Know the unit you might want to spend some time learning the area .Be prepared to be boogerd by other hunters.Every year it gets worse.Get in the best shape you can so you can get away from other hunters.Be prepared to bone out and pack your elk out.

• Like 2