ctracingraptor

I want to reload, I need advice....

Yes components can be much cheaper... but most of us end up seeing the opportunity to build better rounds so we buy premium components and become obsessed with improvements. Compare your 5.56 to match grade stuff and yes you can save money.

Example 500 rounds of 5.56 black hills is over $500

7mm RM HSM (using berger VLD's) is $50 a box

Neither includes Haz shipping charges, so figure 3 boxes of 7mm and the $500 5.56 and shipping and call it ~$700. I am pretty sure after the first year you can pay for your reloading supplies and be in good shape if you compare apples to apples.

But pretty much everyone gets hooked on the crack and keeps buying better gear, new calibers, different mfg brass, a new press, and on and on...

Are you getting charged Hazmat for ammo? I have bought bulk a few times in the last couple of years and never was charged Hazmat from the three different places I purchased from.

It has been over a year since I have ordered any and I had additional shipping charges last time. I may have had primers or powder with the order and just not paid attention to which items accounted for the extra charge. I don't usually order ammo it was just for backup.

don't look to save money for plinking rifle rounds. it takes a lot of ammo to reach that. unless surplus components like powder and pulled bullets come back, it'll be hard. i can buy 308 for 35 cents a round with reloadable boxer primed brass and FMJ. sell the brass and stuff be cheaper than rolling my own. for 223 i'm up to 10 cents a round these days reloading :-( . Pistol rounds cost dang near nothing. essentially the cost of a primer around 1.5-3 cents.

where you really save are your oddball or not so common calibers. the 7mm you could save by loading premium hunting ammo, but then again. a lot of load development might put you in the hole. shoot me a PM if you are interested in more details or in depth.

I have a RockChucker that's probably 25-30 years old. It belonged to my fathers friend that passed away many years ago and I inherited it. I've had it for abort 20 years with zero problems.

The savings will come over many years. I also like the idea of reloading because you never know what will happen with factory ammo in the future. Reloading is just another safety valve, just in case there is an ammo shortage, besides the accuracy benefits. It's also fun and you'll take pride in loading your own. Of a single stage press won't do, you are lucky to have a lot more time to go shooting than I do. I load a couple times a year and it keeps me stocked up. Of course, having enough brass is the key.

• Like 1

I have a RCBS single stage press and all the goodies that I have had for 35 years. It has paid for itself many times over. I load .222, .243, 7mm-08, .270 Win, .30-06 with it. Now as far as the progressive press I use my cousins Dillon 550. With it I will sit and load about 4000 rounds in about 5 hours so it is a great time saver. I load .38 Special, .357 Mag, .40, and .45 but he uses it for .223. The nice thing about reloading is customizing rounds to a particular firearm for accuracy. I can load down my daughters practice rounds and customize it so they shoot a lot without heavy recoil and developing flinches.

Ok now im lost, So it sounds like i need to buy both a single stage and progressive? I understand the concept of buying a single stage then added a progressive later down the road....but it sounds like a single stage wont do hangun ammo, and it will take forever to do 1000 rounds of 223 or 308? Sounds like a progressive can be used like a single and can be made as accurate as a single stage, but has the option to be quicker. Did I mention I know very very little about reloading.....

I've loaded 357 mag and 44 mag along with 22 hornet, 223, 6.5x55, 243, 30-06, etc, etc on my single stage for years. You only need a progressive if you shoot a lot, a lot more than me.

That being said, I don't bother with 9mm, I just buy that in bulk.

I reload .223 in my single stage. But again, I load for accuracy and consistency, not true bulk "blow and go". I can load 300-400 an evening with my press. But.....I have some additional tools that help speed things up. Like an electronic dispenser/scale (but a powder throw works quicker, just weigh every 10th throw to ensure it is consistent), and I have done all of my brass prep beforehand (which you need to do anyway, even with a progressive press).

A single stage will load pistol rounds just fine. But not as quick as a progressive.

Buy a progressive first if you want. You can get a single stage press later if you want, for cheaper than a progressive press. Most dies, shell holders are interchangeable, so you can use them for either.

I load my pistol rds with a single stage Rock Chucker, weigh every 5th charge just for peace of mind. I'm not a competitive pistol shooter so no need for many thousands of rds. I do mine in stages, clean one night, de-prime and size another evening, I use a Lee hand primer and will prime up a bunch while watching tv, then when I'm ready fill with powder and put the lids on. I'll do a couple hundred at a time. I load .357mag, 40s&w, 44mag and 45acp.

I also reload about 15 different rifle calibers, from 220swift to 45-70. Nice being able to work up a load that your rifle likes, buy a new caliber rifle and pick up dies & brass at the same time. You can get a lot of life out of brass if you don't hot-rod your rounds.

I like the hand primer because you feel when the pockets get too big and the primers almost fall in, then I'll pinch the brass with a pair of pliers and throw it away.

• Like 1

Ok now im lost, So it sounds like i need to buy both a single stage and progressive? I understand the concept of buying a single stage then added a progressive later down the road....but it sounds like a single stage wont do hangun ammo, and it will take forever to do 1000 rounds of 223 or 308? Sounds like a progressive can be used like a single and can be made as accurate as a single stage, but has the option to be quicker. Did I mention I know very very little about reloading.....

I don't think you're lost, you pretty much got it a progressive can be used like a single stage. Everyone is pointing out that a single is a much more economical way to start.

Yep a single stage is more economical and also easier to learn on in my opinion. The only reason I use a progressive for my handguns is I have access to one. I only load for them once a year so I do roughly 4000 rounds per gun per loading session. I mainly use the handguns for defensive reasons, concealed carry, so am not worried about accuracy. I use reloads for practice and carry factory ammo in my handguns for defensive purposes. I use my single stage for all of my rifles since I am loading 100 rounds or less for them at one time.

Read the ABC's of reloading. Very good book to start off. You can get it on amazon pretty cheap. I would say if you truly believe your going to end up getting a progressive press sometime, just go ahead and get one. Start slow and just run one around at a time at first. This is just how I did it and I'm not regretting it at all. I then bought a Forster coax press then a couple lee's to do odd jobs. I'm kinda in love with reloading, now I want a redding t-7 another Forster and another progressive. I have a disease. If I were you I would look at the new RCBS progressive presses they are coming out with. You can get a 5 stage press and then convert it to a 7 stage later if you wanted. It very well may be my next press.

List of musts to start loading (this will get you started)

Press (depending on what press you'll need shellplates or shell-holders)

Dies

Scale

Powder measure

Caliper

Reloading manual (a few if you can)