Sign in to follow this  
azpackhorse

Spring bear hunt

:angry: Hey :angry:

Why are you starting on me :angry:

Why are you up at 12:30 in the morning posting CRAP like that?

You may have opened a can of worms you can't deal with :P

You are right Mike, what was I thinking? :unsure: It had to be the pain and sleeping medication working on my mind before kicking in. :blink: Did you find a gobbler this weekend worth shooting?

If the warden is like the one here in NM that my brother called last season, I wouldn't expect much to happen. Last bear season there was a set of canyons that had good acorns and was loaded with bears. I saw 4 in 2 half-days of looking and my brother saw 12 in 4 days. There was a guy running hounds and he shot one right on dark as it was scooting by with the hounds in pursuit. The next day my brother was back and found a small dead bear in the bottom of a dry streambed right beside the road (it was visible from the road and wasn't there the evening before). He ran into the hound hunter and heard the story about the guy shooting one right on dark the previous evening and how he couldn't find it that night. My brother told him where the bear was, which was right near where the guy had shot it and the guy said that it had spoiled overnight and was no good so he didn't tag it and kept hunting. What we really think happened was the guy ground checked the bear, decided it was too small, left it there and made up some lame story about how he couldn't find it. My brother called the game warden who said it wasn't illegal to lose an animal and not recover it. The game warden said he might go move the carcass out of view from the road, if he had time.

As far as I am concerned finding an animal the next morning after a shot just on dark and then just leaving it is not ethical for one, and even if you can't prove the guy has broken some law the warden could have at least hassled him a little bit and let him know someone was keeping an eye on him. Later, my grandpa found the carcass of another small bear in the same canyon system and the same guy brought a medium sized one into the taxidermist a couple days after the aforementioned incident.

Amanda,

I did not call the AZGF only because I didn't want to wait for them and it would be hard to explain where to find it without just showing them in person. I probably should have but I didn't, I really don't have any complaints or bad experiences with our G&F. All of my dealings have been pleasant and professional.

Amanda,

I did not call the AZGF only because I didn't want to wait for them and it would be hard to explain where to find it without just showing them in person. I probably should have but I didn't, I really don't have any complaints or bad experiences with our G&F. All of my dealings have been pleasant and professional.

If I were in your shoes I would take them in there and show them where its at. And milk em all the way for every bit of info on the unit possible :P

I saw report it and do your best to describe the area over the phone as a minimum. The Wm might meat with you and go over TOPO's too.

Just think this could be the one lead they need to close case or something odd that the department really needs to be on to of. There are rewards out there and just maybe some might end up in your wallet... You never know. At least the WM can document the bear and it's log as a morality when they do population stats.

cmc

Just call it in and give them the basics. Who knows, you may end up with a nice skull.

I was thinking the same thing. Amanda has a point there. There is a section in the game laws stating a report should be filed with game and fish. They will be glad to let you have the skull after their investigation. Let them deal with the stinky thing first but I know there are alot of you out there that don't trust the department. I truely believe they will welcome such a find and see that you get it back.

If the bear died of natural causes you can keep it otherwise it belongs to them!

If the bear died of natural causes you can keep it otherwise it belongs to them!

The only problem is that they get to choose if it died of natural causes. :rolleyes: But yeah, ussually they are pretty cool about it.

The only problem is that they get to choose if it died of natural causes. :rolleyes: But yeah, ussually they are pretty cool about it.

BASS, Whats up with the killin one tree at a time with a arrow?