Sign in to follow this  
TRKHNTR

How Big?

Google: How fast do antlers grow. It says right in there they can grow up to an inch a day. It explains what they mean as well. Circumference, length, all play a role in that equation.

Either way...That bull in the pic a a shooter for sure.

If it's on Google, it has to be true! ;)

No it doesn't. But it was written by a noted animal biologist who is an expert in the field and just something I learned myself many years ago. :P

Maybe using the base 200 and math lets look

A 350 Bull will typically have 75 inches of total tine length G1- 5 , 50 inches of main beam length around 30 inches of mass per side ... that is a total of 155 inches of bone growth 154 divided by 180 days is about .86 inches of bone per day ... now you add the average of 40 inch spread for a mature bull you have 155x2+40 ='s 350 inches

Now a 400 inch Bull will have on Average 95 -96 inches of total length on each side G1-5 average main beams around 54- 56 (use 55 in this calculation) inches and usually a little more spread and mass but will use the 30 here .. 95+55+30= 180 divided by 180 days ='s 1 inch a day 180 x 2 = 360 + 40 spread = 400....

Now of course this is all based on 180 days of growth which can sometimes be longer or shorter by a couple weeks .....

I guess what I have always taken away from it is that 400" + Bulls are rare because everything from Genes to Nutrition have to be ideal for the entire growth cycle to reach that 1 inch a day of Bone Growth ...

• Like 6

Up to an inch a Day ....

they grow for about 180 days and some bulls go 400", math doesnt add up

late to the answer see above

Maybe using the base 200 and math lets look

A 350 Bull will typically have 75 inches of total tine length G1- 5 , 50 inches of main beam length around 30 inches of mass per side ... that is a total of 155 inches of bone growth 154 divided by 180 days is about .86 inches of bone per day ... now you add the average of 40 inch spread for a mature bull you have 155x2+40 ='s 350 inches

Now a 400 inch Bull will have on Average 95 -96 inches of total length on each side G1-5 average main beams around 54- 56 (use 55 in this calculation) inches and usually a little more spread and mass but will use the 30 here .. 95+55+30= 180 divided by 180 days ='s 1 inch a day 180 x 2 = 360 + 40 spread = 400....

Now of course this is all based on 180 days of growth which can sometimes be longer or shorter by a couple weeks .....

I guess what I have always taken away from it is that 400" + Bulls are rare because everything from Genes to Nutrition have to be ideal for the entire growth cycle to reach that 1 inch a day of Bone Growth ...

well, thats enough internet for me today.

• Like 1

this coming from the same group of guys that call a deer with 4 scoreable points on a side a 3.

What the heck does that mean? Out west they don't count eye guards on deer. This ain't new york. I don't have any idea where your coming from with that statement.

How many points here??

post-12458-0-48742900-1430450649_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

180 days seems way too long. Big bulls generally shed late February or early March and are 95% done by July 1st. That's 4 months of growth = 120 days.

Either way, great looking bull in OP and the bulls are growing a bunch right now.

Murpys69law--The way I understand it is if you have an eastern count 8 point, eye guard, and then three other points on each side it is counted as a 3x3 Coues. You count the eye guard or G1, then the g2, then the g3, but the g4 is counted as the end of the main beam and not a point. So you have 3 points on each side and the end of the main beams. I just count them like elk or eastern style, 8 point.

Murpys69law--The way I understand it is if you have an eastern count 8 point, eye guard, and then three other points on each side it is counted as a 3x3 Coues. You count the eye guard or G1, then the g2, then the g3, but the g4 is counted as the end of the main beam and not a point. So you have 3 points on each side and the end of the main beams. I just count them like elk or eastern style, 8 point.

ok. I see what your saying. I guess when I see a deer with 4 points on each side and an eye guard. To me that would be a 4x4. Not and 8 point or even a 10 point counting eye guards. I have been told anything you can hang a ring on is considered a point. Confusing to me.

• Like 1

i don't know if is me but looks like an every thread there is always an argument and somebody wants to be right, what is going on on this forum lately?? used to be a pleasure to log on now you don't want to click on a subject because there is always some bickering.

• Like 4

My milkshake is better than yours.

He will be big enough!!! I hope you find him on the hunt!

(You should go abandon some trail cams to document the growth) :)

If its in 10 send me a map :)

Naturebob gets it first.

• Like 2

i don't know if is me but looks like an every thread there is always an argument and somebody wants to be right, what is going on on this forum lately?? used to be a pleasure to log on now you don't want to click on a subject because there is always some bickering.

welcome to internet forums

• Like 1

this coming from the same group of guys that call a deer with 4 scoreable points on a side a 3.

What the heck does that mean? Out west they don't count eye guards on deer. This ain't new york. I don't have any idea where your coming from with that statement.

How many points here??

Awesome old buck! I'd get him re-mounted!