Sign in to follow this  
rnhunter

Nosler Accubond Long Range

Going to load some 165s in my 300 win mag. I hear they are awesome for that caliber.

With a 300 win mag step up to the 190 or 210 grain LRAB to take full advantage of the cartridge.

I wish I could go with a bigger grain but I can't. I have an A-Bolt Browning in 300 wm and the detachable magazine FROM the factory is so short I can't load a longer bullet. It either won't fit into it or its so tight it will flatten the nose of bullet when shooting. Don't have any idea what the he ll Browning was thinking when the designed this. I tried to adjust bullet depth when I first got it so the round was closer to the lands trying to get better accuracy and that's when I discovered the problem. I have loaded 180's but I have to watch how far I seat them.

Just seat the bullet to mag length and tune your load from there. Yeah you loose a little case capacity and velocity but you more than make up for it in retained velocity, wind drift and energy at longer range due to the heavier bullet. Seating to mag length is the name of the game with most magnums and heavy bullets if you want it to be a repeater hunting rifle. Just because the bullet has a lot of jump does not mean it won't be accurate.

• Like 1

Going to load some 165s in my 300 win mag. I hear they are awesome for that caliber.

With a 300 win mag step up to the 190 or 210 grain LRAB to take full advantage of the cartridge.

I wish I could go with a bigger grain but I can't. I have an A-Bolt Browning in 300 wm and the detachable magazine FROM the factory is so short I can't load a longer bullet. It either won't fit into it or its so tight it will flatten the nose of bullet when shooting. Don't have any idea what the he ll Browning was thinking when the designed this. I tried to adjust bullet depth when I first got it so the round was closer to the lands trying to get better accuracy and that's when I discovered the problem. I have loaded 180's but I have to watch how far I seat them.

Just seat the bullet to mag length and tune your load from there. Yeah you loose a little case capacity and velocity but you more than make up for it in retained velocity, wind drift and energy at longer range due to the heavier bullet. Seating to mag length is the name of the game with most magnums and heavy bullets if you want it to be a repeater hunting rifle. Just because the bullet has a lot of jump does not mean it won't be accurate.

That makes sense. I have only loaded 180 since I had it. I have found they do very well. It was a pretty accurate load I had but from all the data and people I have talked to they have told me that the 165 is one of the best rounds for 30 cal rifles. I guess it depends on the gun but I did want to try 165s and then go from there. Has anyone ever had the problem with the A-Bolt mags besides me?

When you load your 300 win mag what powder are you going to use and how fast do you want them to go FPS. I have a 300 win mag and I am trying to find a load that will work for a 168 VDL Berger. trying to find a powder that is some what available. is 3200fps too fast?

When you load your 300 win mag what powder are you going to use and how fast do you want them to go FPS. I have a 300 win mag and I am trying to find a load that will work for a 168 VDL Berger. trying to find a powder that is some what available. is 3200fps too fast?

I am just starting to do ladder tests. What I have loaded now is....I am still waiting for my scope to come in and I will shoot these loads. These are all from the Nozler book and the powder amount is what they have said is the most accurate for each one. As far as 3200 fps I don't think that's too fast. but fast doesn't always mean accurate. Each gun shoots different.

#1. IMR 4350 165 grn Accubond 3.474 COL @ 2970 FPS 69 grns powder

#2. IMR 4831 165 grn Accubond 3.474 COL @ 3120 FPS 70 grns powder

#3. IMR 7828 165 grn Accubond 3.474 COL @ 3022 FPS 76 grns powder

#4. R19 165 grn Accubond 3.474 COL @ 2982 FPS 71 grns powder

Thanks for the info I was at Cabela's to night and saw that they had some R19 and 7828. I think that R19 is Reload 19.

Along time ago I bought my first 300 win mag and the nice man gave me what I thought was a life time supply of hand loads. I am hooked on these loads, but I don't know what they are and I would like to figure out what they are? so I have attached photos below. Please help if you can.

thanks

post-11370-0-69128200-1432182332_thumb.jpg

post-11370-0-72844500-1432182366_thumb.jpg

post-11370-0-19069200-1432182402_thumb.jpg

post-11370-0-47826900-1432182424_thumb.jpg

post-11370-0-33379500-1432182447_thumb.jpg

Looks like probaby a nosler ballistic tip bullet and possibly H4831 powder due to the large granule size. No way to tell what exactly the powder is to my knowledge

True that. That is a ballistic tip. The tubular powder is hard to tell as 4831, 4350 have the same size approx. That tip on the bullet looks smashed as well. What happened to it?

Since it is an extruded powder, it could also be IMR7828, IMR4831, H4350, RL22 (but RL22 might be a touch skinnier granules). My bet if the loads are older, with that charge weight, it could be IMR4350 or H4350.

If you have shot them, what is the velocity you are getting? That could help narrow it down a bit with listed charge weights in reloading data. And the barrel length of the rifle (probably 26"?).

As for bullet, Nosler only makes the .30 cal Ballistic Tip in 125, 150, 165, 168 & 180 grains. I have no idea why that bullet would only weigh 160 grains. http://www.nosler.com/ballistic-tip-bullet/

Here is the thing....load data from IMR puts the throw weight of the slower powders starting around 70 grains for IMR4831, and 72 grains for 7828. 4350 starts at 68.0 with a velocity of 2875 from a 24" barrel. H4350 has a listed starting load of 66 grains with a velocity of 2910 from a 24" barrel.

68.5 grains puts the charge weight on the low end for IMR4350, and in the middles for H4350. But lower than suggested starting loads for the slower powders like 4831 & 7828. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

As I stated above. The best loads for accubonds in 165 grn bullet according to the Nozler specs are what I loaded. IMR 4350 @ 2970fps is the lowest amount at 69 grns. With IMR 7828 @ 76 grns @3022fps the largest amount.

I am not sure if these will do good in my rifle but it is a starting point for me. Your scale showing a 68.5 grain weight of powder may be IMR 4350 or even 4831. It's real close to what the book is calling for the best load but again, that is for a 165 grn bullet. Like lance stated I don't get the 159.9 weight on that bullet either. I would check my scale and reweigh the bullet or try another scale. No way to contact your friend and ask him what he loaded?

I agree with Murf... not trying to be a know it all but I would check that scale and make sure it is calibrated.

Only Hornady makes a 30cal 160gr and they use red tips. The green is the indicator for Nosler .308 (all weights) but Sierra had green tips but a much darker green for their Gamekings as well.

The extruded powder could be from anyone unfortunately. It may not even be Vihtavouri and not any listed, not likely though. If I had to guess I am with the rest of the group and would try to duplicate with 4350 which is very common for 30cal.

Also try and get it over a chrony and get the MV for your loads. You may not ever know the exact recipe, probably cant tell which primer is in there either, but you can easily duplicate the speed, cartridge OAL, and bullet seating depth and probably have near identical performance.

How far out do you need it to reach and what are your expectations? I ask because a lighter bullet like those loads tends to indicate you are not chasing long range shots and tiny groups (not a criticism). If you need a 500 yard and in round I am betting any of the options Lance or Murf gave you could get you there. After that load up another 100 to 200 rounds and be good to go.

• Like 1

The tip got smashed when I took it apart. My barrel length is 24” and the velocity is 3200 fps. I will put the bullet back on a different scale and see what I get. My first goal was to make up a hunting load out to 600 yards. Than the more I read on here I might be able to get out to 1000 yard with good groups ( I would not shoot at animal at that distance). But it would be fun to shoot that far. The first thing I did was load up some sierra 180 grins. Soft point boat tail. Using A3450 64.0, 64.5, 65.0, 65.5 and 66.0grns. 5 of each and took out and shoot them. At 100 yards I got 4-5 inch groups. Not good. My second group was load up with some Berger 168 grins. VDL. Using A3450 64.0, 64.5, 65.0, 65.5 and 66.0grns. 5 of each and took out and shoot them. At 100 yards I got 4-5 inch groups. I took some of my old favorite green tip loads and shoot them at 100 yards under an inch group. Maybe I need more powder? (I was at cabelas and I saw 3450 so I bought 2 pound, not knowing that everyone made a 3450. I wanted IMS-3450). My bad. thanks for the help

The tip got smashed when I took it apart. My barrel length is 24” and the velocity is 3200 fps. I will put the bullet back on a different scale and see what I get. My first goal was to make up a hunting load out to 600 yards. Than the more I read on here I might be able to get out to 1000 yard with good groups ( I would not shoot at animal at that distance). But it would be fun to shoot that far. The first thing I did was load up some sierra 180 grins. Soft point boat tail. Using A3450 64.0, 64.5, 65.0, 65.5 and 66.0grns. 5 of each and took out and shoot them. At 100 yards I got 4-5 inch groups. Not good. My second group was load up with some Berger 168 grins. VDL. Using A3450 64.0, 64.5, 65.0, 65.5 and 66.0grns. 5 of each and took out and shoot them. At 100 yards I got 4-5 inch groups. I took some of my old favorite green tip loads and shoot them at 100 yards under an inch group. Maybe I need more powder? (I was at cabelas and I saw 3450 so I bought 2 pound, not knowing that everyone made a 3450. I wanted IMS-3450). My bad. thanks for the help

I assume you mean IMR 4350. You will find that it make take several different loads, powder brands and powder amounts to get a group you want. You have a starting group now to go with. Are you using new brass and mag primers? Are you full length sizing? Trimming cases? make every round as identical as you can except your powder amounts and powder choices. I found that even seating depth on primes as well as bullet seating depth can effect your groups.

I was planning on doing a full length sizing and then let it fire form for the next. Yes I am using magnum primers. The cases are once fired. No case trimming. Accurate 4350 powder. I got it by mistake, I did not know that other powder manufactures have powder with the same number “3450”. Yes IMR not IMS.

thanks

With a 24" barrel and getting 3200fps with a "160"gr. bullet, your scale has got to be off 5 grains. And I bet that charge weight is 5 grains over what it reads too, more like 73.5 grains. Which, if that is the case, is a very dangerous situation. Please verify with another known bullet to verify accuracy, and calibrate as needed.

IMR4350 and a 165gr. NBT with a charge weight of 73.3gr. from a 24" barrel should be right around 3150fps, which is a MAX load according to IMR/Hodgdon website.

My Nosler book shows (all MAX loads) w. 24" barrel:

H4350, 165 NBT, 73.0gr. @ 3170

IMR4831, 165 NBT, 74.0gr. @ 3260

IMR4350, 165 NBT, 72.0gr. @ 3260

• Like 1