Sign in to follow this  
Snapshot

Knuckleheads of Yellowstone Park

Knuckleheads is a term I wouldn't use. How about totally insane idiots.

I would not say the mother bear charged anyone - looks like she was looking for the fastest way to get off the bridge. when she sees the end of bridge she goes faster

when one cub got behind, then she came back and then they all left agin .

I don't see where she charged at tourists.

Getting photos of wild animals can lead to dangerous situations , especially with a mom bear with cubs but I do not see it in this clip

a bunch of idiots - possibly but it wasn't like they were crowding her - she just wanted off the bridge too

the people were just following orders to get off bridge - from the warden - " keep going "

Its obvious momma was moving a lot fasters than the geezers

• Like 2

I would not say the mother bear charged anyone - looks like she was looking for the fastest way to get off the bridge.

when one cub got behind, then she came back and then they all left agin .

I don't see where she charged at tourists.

Getting photos of wild animals can lead to dangerous situations , especially with a mom bear with cubs but I do not see it in this clip

a bunch of idiots - possibly but it wasn't like they were crowding her - she just wanted off the bridge too

the people were just following orders to get off bridge - from the warden - " keep going "

Its obvious momma was moving a lot fasters than the geezers

I get what your saying but the rules in Yellowstone say for tourists to be a min of 100yrds from animals. That bridge doesn't even look 100yrds long. jmo

I've been inside Yellowstone many times, and have seen, and heard, alot of tourists do some really stupid things, including things that end in death. If there is a bear or wolf sighting, forget going anywhere, you will be stuck in a traffic jam for an hour, until Park Rangers get it cleared up. I've seen people try to get close and stand next to animals for a photograph. Never get behind a busload of Japanese or Korean tourists in the park, unless you want to see some real comedy. DId you ever hear the story of the Biker who tried to ride a Buffalo. It was pretty funny. Park Rangers never did catch that guy.

I was flyfishing the Madison river inside the park once. There was a Coyote on the opposite bank, probably looking for an afternoon meal. A car pulled over, and then another, and then another, and then another...... next thing you know a bunch of people are running along the river bank trying to get a photo of what they think is a Wolf. They didn't believe me when I told them it was a coyote. SO much for an afternoon of serenity.

I go into the Park early, before the after breakfast crowd gets rolling, and come out earlier than the headed for dinner crowd otherwise you will have to do 10 miles an hour for miles in traffic. Yellowstone is a beautiful and magical place. 3 to 4 million visitors in a summer give you a good percentage of knuckleheads, especially those that like to stop in the middle of the road

OHHH!!! Look honey!! The bears are so cute. Lets get close and take a picture!!!

post-12458-0-52970200-1431304710.jpg

post-12458-0-75236200-1431304749_thumb.jpg

Guest akaspecials

I spent this winter not far north from there. One of the biggest causes of automotive accidents was tourist trying to get pictures of wild game.

As a side note, it's pretty uncommon for a sow to have 3 cubs??? Right?

I spent this winter not far north from there. One of the biggest causes of automotive accidents was tourist trying to get pictures of wild game.

As a side note, it's pretty uncommon for a sow to have 3 cubs??? Right?

No. they average 2-3 cubs but can have as many as 5 cubs in a 2 year span.

Love the "Faces of Death" episode with the guy trying to get a picture of a grizzly bear. Can't remember if it was Glacier or Yellowstone but one swipe was all it took. He had a sandwich outside the car saying "here mr. bear" and the wife saying "honey, don't do that". Some people are idiots.

Most of the animals in the park have a comfort zone. Once a human penetrates that boundary bad things can happen. When I opened the guest ranch in 2011, I had to chase Buffalo off the ranch lawns. They would crap all over the place, and destroy fences.This included Momma's with young ones. Momma Buffalo would start grunting at me when I got to close, and I would have to back off.The big males are very impressive when you are close to them, and see how big they really are.

Every spring they have a Buffalo round up to herd all the Buffalo back into the park. These Buffalo have wandered out of the park in the winter for food. They use helicopters and cowboys on horseback and push them back to the park like a herd of cattle. You will see the "Buffalo hippies", watching the action to make sure the poor Buffalo are not abused during the roundup's.

To me, the sad part is, these people with their mentality - they are never around wild animals. When they do get around them they try to treat them like pets. This has caused at least one black bear at Big Lake to have to be killed so far this year. The momma bear in that video never charged anyone - she was simply trying to get out of a situation where she felt cornered and had cubs to protect.

• Like 3

Ran in to same situation a few years back in Yellowstone. Arrived early before sun rise at lake just out of Jackson Hole to glass for animals. Park ranger drove in and saw our glasses mounted on tripods and our AZ license plates. Spoke with him for a bit and he told us about a bear with cubs feeding on an elk calf just outside of entrance to park.If we made it in time we might see them feed. We went and found her--luck would have it after an hour or so the first vehicle to drive up passengers bail out and start snapping away walking towards them. Foreigners-tried to tell them to not approach the Grizzly but they did not understand me. Grabbed the camcorder and started filming, luckily they made enough noise babbling at each other and the bear cubs headed the opposite way with mom in tow. The carcass was about 150 yards off the road. Lucky folks I guess.