rthrbhntng

No More Motorized Retrieval Az Big Game

Here is some information on upcoming meetings in Williams with links to the maps of the road closures around Williams.

Hello all,

The Williams District will host travel management "work sessions" on May 17

to help develop a better proposed action for Travel Management. The format

will be informal with the primary purpose of getting specific road

comments. We will have maps, flip charts, and comment sheets available. We

hosted similar sessions on March 1st, and we received many good (road

specific) comments during the meeting and positive comments about the

process.

There will be two sessions, one in the afternoon 2:00 to 4:00 and one in

the evening 6:00 to 8:00.

If you are unable to attend and would like to provide road specific

comments, you can download the planning maps from our website. The images

are small, but the resolution is good, so if viewed in Adobe acrobat, you

can zoom in to see the road numbers and landmarks.

The link is http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/kai/travelmanagement/documents.shtml

The maps are called "Williams Maps for Public Input, North and South"

I have attached a copy of the press release. Folks are asked to RSVP by May

16 so we can make sure we have proper staffing.

Hope to see you there!

When looking at the maps it says does meet selection criteria and does not meet selection. Basically which ones would be closed is my question?

You have to fight this. My biggest pet peeve with the Forest Service and the BLM for that matter, is that most of the administrative people who make these decisions aren't from around here. They do not know the people, the culture, and most don't even know the land. They come in from other states, make decisions that affect us, and move on to someplace else to broaden their career; and leave us with all of their mistakes. Most of these people are bureaucrats and are ignorant of people and the land that they are suppose to serve.

This plan is a total joke!!!! If you look at these maps all of the roads would be closed except the main ones. Everyone needs to write in and express their feelings on this. The areas that I like to hunt you would need to walk huge distances to get there. I don't have a fricken horse ranch. This especially sucks cause the age of most hunters is of the older age group and they still want to hunt these areas but hiking that far would be out of the question. And as most of you know if these guys quit applying for hunts we lose power in our voice. Lets all get the job done and let everyone know to do as much as possible to prevent any of these closures.

hmmmmmm bull elk down 300 yards from a road. i'll take my chances with a ticket before I let the meat spoil.

Ultramag, not saying I would'nt drive to the bull 300 yards off the road if the circumstances warranted the retrieval, but you have bigger issues if you allow an animal to go green if the access is that easy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

hmmmmmm bull elk down 300 yards from a road. i'll take my chances with a ticket before I let the meat spoil.

Ultramag, not saying I would'nt drive to the bull 300 yards off the road if the circumstances warranted the retrieval, but you have bigger issues if you allow an animal to go green if the access is that easy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

true, but why carry when it could ride. 300 yards is far when you have a 500 pound bull dressed out by yourself. I was told by a meat processor that a bull elk killed in the morning in the sun would have about 2.5 hours until its starting to spoil so you better hurry.

I heard today that the Forest Service is proposing a road closure plan to driving on pipelines. They want to shut access down to all vehicle travel on pipelines. This plan is not set in stone it's just a proposal, but I can see it going through. I think we will be starting to see our outdoor recreation taken away pretty soon unless we can find a way to stop it. The worst thing is they are taking our roads away legally, which makes it harder to stop. It sure is going to be hard to have fun in the near future...

This is truly depressing. All that's going to happen by closing down these roads, is the guys who followed the laws in the first place will not be traveling them. The bozos who have been flying all over heck and back on their ATV's will still be traveling these "closed" roads.

What bothers me most I guess is the taking away of the dispersed camping. I really enjoyed being able to get a couple hundred yards back off the road to a relatively secluded campsite. With their proposals as it stands, you're either going to be eating vehicle and ATV dust all weekend camping right next to the roads, or you'll have to break the law to get to a decent semi-secluded campsite. I fear that is one law I could not follow. I won't be camping "the length of the vehicle" off the main roads.

I see the road my family's long time (40 year) elk and everything else camp is off of looks to be slated for closure. That would be really upsetting. I would hate to never be able to camp there again, short of a backpack trip.

I fear if this nonsense comes to pass, I will have to re-think my plan of moving back to AZ next May. What I love about AZ is not eating road dust around my campfire as vehicles and ATV's wizz by yards away. I don't mind (and actually prefer) walking in to do my hunting, and am not really troubled by not being able to use the vehicle for game retrieval, but the no dispersed camping thing could be a deal breaker for me, unfortunately.

true, but why carry when it could ride. 300 yards is far when you have a 500 pound bull dressed out by yourself.

Maybe it's that mentality that would do us some good to have some roads closed and motorized game retrieval disallowed ;)

true, but why carry when it could ride. 300 yards is far when you have a 500 pound bull dressed out by yourself.

Maybe it's that mentality that would do us some good to have some roads closed and motorized game retrieval disallowed ;)

If you have a bull elk down not far from a road and no harm would be done to the area are you telling me that you would not drive to it if it was possible. don't lie to yourself. more laws are not going to help the situation so don't wish for that can of worms.

So what is it, far or not far from the main road? :ph34r:

If you have a bull elk down not far from a road and no harm would be done to the area are you telling me that you would not drive to it if it was possible.

I don't think that this proposal is the answer to helping preserve the forests. As stated before it will only punish those who follow the rules and those who don't will continue to abuse the landscape. In my experience it also seems that people have a tendency to expect everyone else to follow the rules but find it acceptable to "bend" them when it becomes benificial to their circumstance.

It would definitely be nice to get a truck to a downed animal but to be honest, I have yet to be on an elk hunt where that was possible so I don't know what I would do.

by a quad basser, you can go anywhere with those things.

Remind me we're talking about carrying out one bull every 15 years of your life right?

Having the FS LEO's take their marching orders from D.C. instead of local is what really bothers me. They are poised to deal with national issues not local ones. Having larger forest regions in the west but less people seems to be our big downfall. When the folks east of Mississippi provide input on land no where near them you're bound to get a slanted view, opinion, directive, and/or vote.

cmc

i kinda like this. i can make a fortune with a rentamule packin' outfit. think i'll set up on the highway by biglake and have a branch franchise either on the blue or at beaverhead. o' course ya hafta pack things out in that country anyway. it's just another attempt by huggers to inconvenience folks outta the woods. the usfs made a stinkin' scar across the prarie from mexican hay lake to big lake and call it a trail but if a guy leaves tire tracks in the grass punkin' a bull outta the woods he gets a ticket. don't seem right. that trail they made is the ugliest thing i've ever seen. Lark.

I'm with you on that LARK. Its the ole double standard rule. Governement rule number 2 just behind the stupid decision rule. :rolleyes: