murfys69law

Using old brass versus New brass for working up load

Just a quick question for all the super re-loaders here. If you are starting to work up a load for a gun, would you use new or maybe once fired brass that has been shot out of that gun. Any benefits for once fired versus new?

new brass is nice and shiny. you still hafta check the overal length tho. had to trim a lotta new brass at times. all in all, i can't think of any real benefit to use once fired, unless you just hafta stuff that's just neck sized. i prefer my ammo full length resized. Lark.

• Like 1

new brass is nice and shiny. you still hafta check the overal length tho. had to trim a lotta new brass at times. all in all, i can't think of any real benefit to use once fired, unless you just hafta stuff that's just neck sized. i prefer my ammo full length resized. Lark.

Do you think that once fired in the same gun you reload for helps with fire forming it? I know I have reloaded other stuff that's been shot once but not in the same gun. I want to get a good accurate load for my rifle that I am going to use for elk this year.

If your full length resizing, there isn't much difference; however, if you are adjusting the dies on the fired rounds, so that it bumps the shoulder back far just enough that it chambers smoothly, then you might gain some accuracy.

• Like 1

Ok. I do full length resizing. I have never had any rounds seem tight going in on once fired reloads. I didn't know if the new brass is stronger as it's never been fired before and may help with accuracy.

Thanks for the info azgutpile

I always bump the shoulder .0015 to .0020. I have found this will give you the best accuracy and make it that all rounds will chamber. If you only neck size your case will sooner or later become to big and have to bump.

• Like 2

I always bump the shoulder .0015 to .0020. I have found this will give you the best accuracy and make it that all rounds will chamber. If you only neck size your case will sooner or later become to big and have to bump.

When you bump the shoulder to the spec you want is that done with the full length die by adjusting the center?

Its done by adjusting the entire die (the main body). You will need a datum bushing to attach to your calipers to make sure you are adjusting to the right length.

• Like 1

I agree with willhunt4coues on standard SAAMI chamberings. Sage advice on each post.

For the wildcat stuff like Ackley Imp. rounds, or a lot of the new proprietary or match stuff, you HAVE to use once fired brass that has been fire formed to your chamber and then resized to spec. No getting around it. But those rounds are fun to load for. But, you still need to work up a load for your fire forming rounds too. I did the exact same routine while working up a load with new brass for my .25-06 Ackley. I did a ladder test, and then 3 round group test after I found a node, then a seating depth test for the HVLDs. It took a few rounds, but then I loaded up the rest of the 200 of the virgin .25-06 brass to fire form into the Ackley chambering. No harm in having super accurate fire forming loads. I have shot numerous prairie dogs with those rounds at 350-600 yards, plus some long range steel shooting to 1371 with them too. Only 42 more to go until I have 300 .25-06 Ackley Imp. brass. But I already have a load for the Ackley version as well. I just had to start all over with that brass.

• Like 1

a lot of target shooters just use a neck sizer if they are using the ammo in the same gun always. i only shoot targets to practice up for killing things so i full length resize everything because i hate it when i get a tight cartridge. when i'm shooting at an animal i want my rifle to load, eject and reload in a hurry, without any worries. that's another reason i only shoot old model 70's when i'm real serious. they always pull the fired case out. seen several guys over the years yank back a 700 and leave the case in the chamber. for hunting, full length resize is my only preference. Lark.

• Like 1

I am no expert, in fact I am pretty novice but I prefer once fire or more for working loads. More often then not you probably won't have access to alot of new brass these days so you may not have a choice anyway.

I like loading new brass more because there is less case prep but I also don't think it would be as uniform as fired and sized brass. Uniformity is the recipe for consistency.

Harley

• Like 1