Sign in to follow this  
sherman

need advice

So I have a buddy that has been doing some long range shooting contest. On the first one he tanked big time. The last one he used my mod 70 243 wssm and improved greatly and I would like him to finish better with just a standard gun (Nothing against custom guns). So I have a Remington 700 Sendero in 22-250 that will get 1/4" groups with factory ammo. I want to hand load something that will be somewhat flat to 400 yards. I prefer hornandy bullets and have some 53 gr v max. What would you suggest. Thanks

What twist is the barrel?

My .22-250 loved the #1410 52 gr. HPBT SMK.

But what are you calling "long range"?

try the new sierra tipped match kings stomp 442 nephew has been shooting them very well in our matches to 500

.224" TMKs only come in 69 & 77gr. Too heavy for your 1 in 14" twist. They require a 1 in 9-10" for the 69, and 1 in 7-8" for the 77gr.

i would use what ever shoots the 1/4" groups. several of us use 35.5 benchmark and 50 ballistic tip. in 500 yard matches with our rem 700s. the bc on 22 cal bullets that you can shoot are not much greater. some we have shot are the 53 horn , 60 vamx, 60 ballistic tip..

Sam's rifle is a 12 twist and they shoot great at 3000ft elevation when pushed at 3440fps.

That being said what kind of accuracy and bullet are you shooting in the 243wssm? I would work on tuning a good load with a 95-105gr berger depending on what twist you have. Heavier bullets and higher BC with the 243 will provide better wind drift numbers and hopefully less misses at longer range. The 53gr vmax is a great bullet but it will be pushed in the wind.I started my nephew with the 53s as they shot really well too but we moved to the 69gr sierras and scores improved greatly and again even more so with the new tipped match kings. Since you can't shoot the 69gr class bullets I really think the 243wssm offers the best performance.

I was getting about 1/2" groups or less the twist rate one the model 70 is like a 1:10. Maybe it was the shooter

Half inch groups should be plenty to be competitive with at 500 yards or even more. Barrel heat may be more of an issue than anything else if long strings of fire are being shot. Here is some quick numbers using standard condistions and a 200 yard zero.

.22-250 with 53gr Vmax with a BC of .290 at 3700fps

500 yard drop = 31" 500 yard drift in 10mph wind = 25"

.243 WSSM with 95gr Berger with a BC of .486 at 3200fps

500 yard drop = 33.23" 500 yard drift in 10mph wind = 16.16"

Thats almost 9 inches difference in wind drift. Both calibers are more than capable but the .243 allows for a better buffer and possible higher score if miss judging the wind.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info it will give me something to work with