Sign in to follow this  
ROBERT RIVERA

unit 6a jr. hunt

My daughter was drawn for this hunt scouted around happy jack ranger station 1 herd 7elk. does this hunt get alot of people at morman mtn.

wait tell it gets closer to the hunt, go out duing the archery hunt and see were most hunters are, that will give you a good idea, dont forget about mormon lake area, apache made mountain.

Last year I met up with some friends on this hunt and I could not believe what a zoo it was. We were just west of mormon lake and north and west of mormon mtn and it was the most crowded hunt I think I have ever seen (worse than kiabab). If I was going I would look at the southeast corner of the unit and I would stay away from the "quiet areas".

Last year I met up with some friends on this hunt and I could not believe what a zoo it was. We were just west of mormon lake and north and west of mormon mtn and it was the most crowded hunt I think I have ever seen (worse than kiabab). If I was going I would look at the southeast corner of the unit and I would stay away from the "quiet areas".

THANKS

It wasn't that bad was it? I mean besides our close "friends" who camped on top of us for two hunts in a row. :lol:

Good luck up there Pinalmtnman! My son had this tag a couple of years ago. We didn't get him one, but we had a great time!!

If you want to get away from the people, just hike a bit off the road. Maybe try the Pinegrove or Rattlesnake quiet areas. Lots of elk in both, and hardly any people.

Have fun!!!

S.

:)

this is the 2nd year my cousin has had this tag.....he shot one last year....they said it was crowded off of stoneman lake road too...everyone is drivng roads so just get out and hike a bit. like stanley said the rattlesnake quiet area is good to try

or like elkhunter said west of I-17 is good not alot of people hunt over there

Hmm.... Good info elkhunter & downthebarrel. I was thinking that I-17 was the boundary and I would guess that you are correct in that the majority of hunters, like myself, would ignore the west side.

Man I wish my boys would have gotten drawn this year. Those cow hunts are a blast for the kids!

S.

Just back from scouting area around apache maid lots of elk away from common areas. also saw 5 yotes . :angry: :angry: forgot rifle. also went to moman mtn. good sign every tank i checked. started raining 3:pm. i-17 west is not in this years hunt 6a no./so. only

Just back from scouting area around apache maid lots of elk away from common areas. also saw 5 yotes . :angry: :angry: forgot rifle. also went to moman mtn. good sign every tank i checked. started raining 3:pm. i-17 west is not in this years hunt 6a no./so. only

i was up around the same area driving all around there....I saw 10 yotes....didnt kill one :lol:. I had three shots all missed.....I even called one into just 50 yards from me....and I missed :lol: what a day it was....

You guys are getting me a little excited! I may have to break out of the AR and see if I can thin a couple of those 'yotes out this weekend.

You guys are getting me a little excited! I may have to break out of the AR and see if I can thin a couple of those 'yotes out this weekend.

bass, go to stoneman lake road....once you get about a quarter of a mile past stoneman lake park your truck and hike south and setup somewhere around there...lots of open country....thats where I saw 7 yotes...they were responding to the calls really well I was surprised..im def gonna head back up there soon it was a blast seeing all those yotes.