naturegirl

My first solo kayak trip

As I move forward, I'm wanting to take people with me kayaking so I figured what better way to test my own abilities than a solo kayak trip. So far my river trips have been in groups, although I once was called "brave" for kayaking a lake solo. I still laugh about that. I have to stop myself and remember that not all women do what I do and for that matter not all men do what I do. I've also yearned for a chance to go solo to see the wildlife in complete silence. I just knew there had to be more than what I was seeing in a group.

• Like 1

My wife and I would like to try kayaking sometime. Some of the pictures from your trips have looked amazing. Any places you suggest going and renting kayaks from?

Nice! I've hunted solo after friends and family have left camp after a couple days. Down close to the border. I do not mind hunting solo. So I can imagine a kayaking trip solo.
Good job

• Like 1

Wow those are some awesome pictures. I thought solo trips would be boring but slowly found out how badly they are sometimes needed. My wife was my main hunting buddy, but with the pregnancy and baby she hasn't been able to get out much. Combine that with my main hunting buddy moving away and it leaves for more solo trips than I'd like.

• Like 1

My wife and I would like to try kayaking sometime. Some of the pictures from your trips have looked amazing. Any places you suggest going and renting kayaks from?

I just took my brother in law and his daughter. He was going to rent one for $40 from sports authority but bought one for $200 (good sale ). He was told if you go to Tempe town lake you can rent them and try out different kinds. I have a 12' fishing model from field & stream. I have a couple old sit in kayaks that I don't like. I like sit on but that is my preference. I carry a 6-year-old or a dog at times with me. I've camped via the kayak numerous times so storage is important to me.

I've taken people new to kayaking with me to the chain lakes and the Salt.

Hope this helps. I love kayaking and it is a whole lot cheaper than a motor boat.

I wound up buying two kayaks, and then a third, and then my buddy got a fourth. Plus I have a canoe. I prefer sit ins. Lower center of gravity, a little bit of coverage on my white chicken drumstick legs I have.

Out of convenience ive always doen the river with someone else (vehicle at start and one to catch). Ive done canyon lake a bunch of times by myself. One trip in particular was pretty bone headed, kayaked to the top dam (where apache lake meets canyon).... except for I started at about 5 pm and it took me 6 hours. Very sore and tired the next day. Been done the "town" portion of the verde in my canoe, but the entire length is on my bucket list.

Ive gotten a couple of friends hooked on kayaking. The easiest way to explain it is "road hunting vs cross country hiking". Took a friend out to canyon and obviously slower than the power boats that whizzed past us, we watched bald eagles on the hunt, and eating; big horn sheep; and plenty of spots where the boats cant get.

I recommend to "beg, borrow, or steal" someone elses kayak before purchasing. Craigslist has deals sometimes too to watch out for. Canyon, Tempe (although I wont go there again), Woods canyon, Parker Canyon and some of the other lakes have rentals to get a taste for it.

• Like 1

I always enjoy your pictures and good for you for having the courage to go solo etc. I spend more and more time alone or with just the dog and I really enjoy it, and see much more wildlife.

As I move forward, I'm wanting to take people with me kayaking so I figured what better way to test my own abilities than a solo kayak trip. So far my river trips have been in groups, although I once was called "brave" for kayaking a lake solo. I still laugh about that. I have to stop myself and remember that not all women do what I do and for that matter not all men do what I do.

You have shared you frequent the salt and the reservoirs, one short piece of advice though, the verde from Bartlett down is nothing to be taken lightly. There are narrow "chutes" that will take you and the kayak for a ride, and often times horizontal/fallen willows are there to "clothesline" you. Be careful if you take to the verde, it's a much different animal.

• Like 1

I prefer a sit on top for sure, gives me lots of storage and piece of mind that at least everything in the hull is protected if I flip it. I can get on and off mine in deep water, which is impossible with a sit inside. Here's a couple pics from Havasu, there's a lot of Kayakers out here in the winter.

The Bill Williams wildlife area and Mesquite bay both have kayak launch Ramps and no wake or no power boat zones. I highly recommend the Bill Williams area in the winter. It's a kayakers patadise.

post-12572-0-08108400-1435102193_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-89249300-1435102230_thumb.jpg

post-12572-0-97658000-1435102271_thumb.jpg

I have rolled over every canoe I have ever been in. These Kayaks scare me to death. I think I'm to old and to fat to be getting in something that looks like I might never recover from. Glad you all are having fun but I think I will stick with a boat and motor. I love looking at all your pictures Christina.

:)

TJ

• Like 1

I have rolled over every canoe I have ever been in. These Kayaks scare me to death. I think I'm to old and to fat to be getting in something that looks like I might never recover from. Glad you all are having fun but I think I will stick with a boat and motor. I love looking at all your pictures Christina.

TJ

The sit on's are so stable you would need to try and tip out of it.

TJ

Kayaks are much more stable than canoes because of the design and center of gravity.

I really would like to try one sometime. Looks like a lot of fun but I still think they are geared towards the younger crowd. :)

TJ

TJ

lol TJ I call canoe's/kayak's a gentleman's way to commit suicide. :)

• Like 1