Sign in to follow this  
wildwoody

anyone hireing deisel mechanics

I can usually decipher misspelled words, but sometimes can't decipher internet lingo. Including some of the abbreviations. Some of us havn't had a computer, tablet, or a cell phone since we were 5 years old. I know how to type, so this one finger pecking is tough.

is my spelling wrong or grammer? Ow well. ;)

• Like 1

I'm with 5 guys! However I did take the ASM program as well as diesel and auto program at WTO tech 15 years ago. Won't knock the school, they taught me to type and how to wear a tie but as far as jobs go I came out making just above min wage. A lot better obviously now after 15 years but I would not recommend that school or the other big one to anyone!! Best to just start at a shop and apprentice for a few years if it's what you want. 100% cheaper and you get paid.

• Like 1

I'm with 5 guys! However I did take the ASM program as well as diesel and auto program at WTO tech 15 years ago. Won't knock the school, they taught me to type and how to wear a tie but as far as jobs go I came out making just above min wage. A lot better obviously now after 15 years but I would not recommend that school or the other big one to anyone!! Best to just start at a shop and apprentice for a few years if it's what you want. 100% cheaper and you get paid.

my son recieved the same advice. He attended west mec his juinor and senior year. Any one he talked to said start at a shop, even his instructor. West mec was free and shamrock started him at $12. He just got home and had 56 hours. Not bad at 18 with o.t. in week one.

• Like 1

Agreed, I almost went to Wyotech and ended up staying in AZ and going to UTI. UTI in general was worthless, the only part I actually enjoyed was the Ford FACT program. Definitely wish I would have just gone and started at a shop, I am still paying on my student loans!

Getting hands on training from a shop with established journeyman is the way to go. Get some time under your belt, when able to obtain a Class A CDL get one and start looking at the utility industry. Excellent apprenticeship opportunities if you are willing to put in the time. The two major utilities in the valley will be having opportunities as a majority of the work force is approaching retirement and vacancies will need to be filled.. Best of luck.