I passed up this buck twice earlier in the Dec. hunt, and dad ended up jumping him in thick cover from his bed and shooting him on the 31st at 2:00 pm. He made a great mount, beautiful buck, very symmetrical and with only about 1 inch in deductions from my measurement, just shy of 100. I hope my mount turns out as nice as this :rolleyes:

post-918-1180755761_thumb.jpg

post-918-1180755775_thumb.jpg

AZCoues Addict,

That is a fantastic mount... I really like the mass on the buck. The Taxi did a wonderful job!

Can't wait to see your mount..

AzP&Y

I don't know about anyone else, but that would be a tough buck to pass on. That is a fantastic mount. Congrats. :lol:

I don't know about anyone else, but that would be a tough buck to pass on. That is a fantastic mount. Congrats. :lol:

Yep, right now with my limited couse kills, I wouldn't hazitate throughing some lead, or carbon, at him.

Nice looking mount.

Very nice AZ_coues addict!

Just out of curiosity, why did you pass on him twice? Did you estimate him to be smaller and not look as awesome as he actually does?

I don't seem to draw december coues hunts very often, and I've taken quite a few coues so I was holding out for the big guy I knew was in the area. The buck I was after I had estimated at 113 and I estimated this buck at 94 due to short g1 and g2's. The larger buck was shot and just shy of 110 according to another hunter, while this buck turned out slightly larger than I thought and closer to 100. Oh well, the following year in Oct I shot a 104 that is at the taxi now, and I was glad my pops got this buck. I seem to be repaying him for all his assisting years while I was younger, but that's OK better him than anyone else in my mind, just like last years archery antelope where I ate tag soup as well and pops shot a 81 incher. You can't shoot what you really want if you always tag out too soon, right? I don't mind trying to get them the next year in Oct if I have to, that's what I did the following year after this December hunt, I shot another coues buck I'd seen the previous Dec that I knew would go over 100 if I let him live another year. Call me crazy but when you set your mind to a certain caliber, nothing else will do and that's how I choose to use my tag, even if it means going home empty handed. That's where scouting kicks in, and Karma repaid me the following year I guess?