Sign in to follow this  
FOGGER

.260 Remington help

I'm building a rifle in .260 and my gunsmith wants me to load a dummy round with my brass and bullet so he can match the throat with the bullet and case. I'm using lapua brass and 140grn Berger VLD. Any recommendations on how far the seat the bullet in this case for optimum performance?

Base of bullet at the bottom of the case neck. You could seat it out longer but it has to fit in your action. What type of action? Dimensions?

If he is a good smith he will be able to give you solid advise on that! If he can't I would be very nervous!

• Like 1

Is it a true Short Action?

What action, Rem 700? Clone? Savage? Winchester 70?

Do you want to load to mag length, or is a single shot OK? Short action mag length for Rem & clones is right around 2.880 stock.

If you want longer, make sure you have a minimum of the diameter of the bullet seated in the neck (.264").

Base of the bullet even or just below the bottom of neck if it were me. The .260 has a fairly short neck, at about .2594". With a long action, you have tons of room to run them long.

Big Browns, Im not nervous one bit he's one of the best Remington 700 smiths in the country and has 40+ years experience. Very highly recommend and his results have spoke for themselves. Obviously we could ream the throat to stock specifications but that's designed to shoot 100grn-150grn bullets. Im just following his guidance and am asking if anyone has any length reccomdations for a caliber I don't have much experience with. Thanks for the input thou, it's really helped!!

• Like 2

No need to be nervous it will go bang and you will find a load. Like the others have said bottom of the neck. Have fun worki g up a load. I wish I had more time thats my favorite part!

Planned powder choice?

If you plan on shooting other bullets don't throat it too long or you'll end up chasing lands.

• Like 1

Planned powder choice?

If you plan on shooting other bullets don't throat it too long or you'll end up chasing lands.