Basser15

Anyone hunt Hawaii?

Here's the deal. My folks invited me to Hawaii with them and we are leaving this Thursday for a week. Had originally just planned on doing the typical tourist stuff: scuba dive, fish, drink until I get a hangover then drink to get rid of it, etc.

Now I saw a post and some pics on another site of a guy who just got back from Hawaii and took 3 feral goats, and a pig. All but one with his bow. Looked up the regs and looks like there is one area on Kauai that is open year round to archery for both goats and pigs for a non-res license of $105.

Has anyone ever done this? If so, any experience or suggestions that you could offer?

Think I'm more excited about this possibility then any of the other stuff!

I've swapped some e-mails with a guy from AT.com who is a guide over there on the big island. He killed over 20 pigs last year alone, all with a bow. I've also talked w/ him on the phone once & he seems absolutely fanatical. Don't know anyone who's hunted w/ him, but his number is 808-443-1210 & his name is John Williams. Good luck.

Matt S.

I have not hunted it. But the wife and I plan to some day! Looking for info as well. All info is good!

I never would have thought about hunting in Hawaii. Sounds like a non typical tourist plan though.. Good Luck

DB, those links work for me now that i have access to the site, thanks. Here is the thread from a different site that got me fired up. Never even thought about it until I saw this yesterday morning: http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31143

Leave Thursday and it looks like if I can get this done then I would only be able to hunt Saturday and Sunday since those are the only days you can legally hunt in Hawaii if I read the regs right.

DB, those links work for me now that i have access to the site, thanks. Here is the thread from a different site that got me fired up. Never even thought about it until I saw this yesterday morning: http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31143

Leave Thursday and it looks like if I can get this done then I would only be able to hunt Saturday and Sunday since those are the only days you can legally hunt in Hawaii if I read the regs right.

Talk about a small world, my wife and I also leave Thursday for Hawaii. We are flying US AIR and staying on Maui. I wondered what they had to hunt there. It's our 30th and she wanted Hawaii and I wanted Alaska. This is the last time she wins. :lol: :lol: Good luck if you get a chance to hunt and take some pictures and share when you get back.

I went to kuai probably 5 years ago. I had no idea on that island they hunted. Ive heard since that there is some ferrel pigs on the isands and a certain island that has a ton of difgferent types of pheasant. Kuai is an awsome place, i enjoyed it. There is a ton of wild chickens that live there, thats kinda cool

I know hunting is fairly popular on kauai. I hiked a trail on the big peak there and saw several hunt unit boundry markers. I also saw two herds of goats. Not sure exactly what kind they were, but one group had some with horns like a spanish goat, the other group a little like Ibex. On Oahu, I was told they spear hunt hogs in the central part of the island.

For the update...

Was is Kauai from June 7-14 and it was AWESOME! Unfortunately I didn't get to hunt though. Started the process of getting my paperwork done a little too late in the game and wasn't sure if they were going to be able to get me processed in time and even if they did I would have had to spend a day tracking down their office on the island to get a tag and the a couple days to hunt/figure the place out. Decided to spend those 3 days hanging out on the beach or by the pool instead:)

If I get a chance to go again I will definitely give the hunting a try now that I know what I need to do and the time it takes.