Sign in to follow this  
David bo6547

12 A EAST muzzerloader

Tough hunting on that side, dropped tag numbers for a few years. Hunt the draws across from the vermicuin cliffs

had this hunt about 5 yrs ago. a butt load of small bucks. don't be afraid to hunt the draws right off the highway & the draws heading east out of the burn. keep you powder dry my friend!

Try the " Jolly Sink " area. up top. 205 rd. Burned in there. Draws across from Vermillion Cliffs is actually 12b until you start up the switchbacks or down past the House rock buffalo ranch to the south. Deer are usually not that far down on that hunt. Hunt from the eastside game trail up. I have actually been on the late hunt in that unit and none of the deer were down. Took a 175 buck around Jolly Sink. I believe a few years back one of the Auction tag holders took a 200 + buck in Velvet around Jolly Sink.

post-10954-0-47933200-1437841652.jpg

I have the same tag this year. In 2008 I killed a 189 buck about 200 yards off of highway 67 on the late hunt. The following year the weather was colder in the Oct hunt than the late hunt in 2008. Weather should play a major factor on where to hunt.

...and no I was not road hunting when I killed my buck. You'd have never seen him from the road.

David I was up there on the east side three years ago helping a friend and conditions were similar but maybe a little warmer. We spent 80% of our time down low and saw very few deer and the one he shot was low. It was the biggest buck we saw on the hunt and scored around 172. I'm heading back up to the east side this year with the same friend (lucky) and we will see how it goes. It seems to be a bit cooler earlier this year. I don't know enough about the unit to tell you where they will be right now. Good luck.

Man it sure seems like everyone has this tag this year. There are only 50 tags though and I have #48 and my brother has #49.