Sign in to follow this  
Jay Scott

Auction Elk Hunt, Units 3C, 1 and 23 North Interview with Jed Larson

Guys, I just recently launched a podcast episode on the Jay Scott Outdoors Western Big Game Hunting and Fishing Podcast, where I interview Jed Larson of A3 Trophy Hunts, who guided for the most recent big auction elk. Jed answered a bunch of questions as to the patterns, movements and the hunt of this bull over the last couple of years. We cover a large amounts of topics involved with elk hunting including talk about Units 1, 23N, and 3A/3C, broadheads for elk, strategies for scouting and more. I hope you enjoy it!

Click Here For Apple/iPhone/IOS users

Click Here for Android/Computer users

• Like 1

These podcasts are great. they have definitely pulled me away from listening to the radio. could have done without the one with the Gray Light guy though. little too arrogant for my taste

• Like 3

Love the podcasts! Except graylight podcast. I don't understand why Jay Scott interviewed a hunter who has been charged with poaching a trophy mule deer in Arizona. I open the az regs and there his name is, hunting privileges revoked.... As a guide and a well respected one, I am very surprised Jay would have him on his podcast.

• Like 3

I don't like Gray Light either, but Marlon did not lose his hunting privileges. G & F made the correction.

I could not listen to all of it (Gray Light) either. I have listen to all of the other ones though and they are very good.

I just googled up on this guy a little. Looks like he's definitely his own biggest fan. With a few exceptions that's what it seems like you have to be to make a name for yourself in the hunting business it seems.

• Like 1

I didn't know G&F made a correction. Last I heard talking to game and fish officials, this guy was caught red-handed shooting two mule deer a few days apart in the same year, I believe it was the end of December or the first few days of January.

Controversy of this individual aside, these podcasts are fantastic. Just dowloaded a couple of the newer ones for my plane ride home from the east coast tomorrow.

Jay - I heard a rumor that you may have a podcast coming up on 3C mule deer hunting with Daniel from Burnt Timber? I sure hope so!

i was reluctant to say anything about my thoughts on the grey light podcast. glad i'm not the only one who thinks this way

• Like 2

Gray light aka Marlon didn't have his hunting privileges taken. It was a misprint. He had several charges against him that were dropped in regards to shooting two mule deer. Not sure which charge stuck but I know he paid $8000 for doing something he shouldn't have. This is according to game and fish meeting records. He does seem into himself but I'm not saying I wouldn't like to be where he is regarding sponsors (vortex, hoyt) he does whatever it takes to get the sponsors and I don't blame him.

Gray light aka Marlon didn't have his hunting privileges taken. It was a misprint. He had several charges against him that were dropped in regards to shooting two mule deer. Not sure which charge stuck but I know he paid $8000 for doing something he shouldn't have. This is according to game and fish meeting records. He does seem into himself but I'm not saying I wouldn't like to be where he is regarding sponsors (vortex, hoyt) he does whatever it takes to get the sponsors and I don't blame him.

That there is where the problem lies. Too many people willing to do ANYTHING to get noticed or to get a "leg up". I (and many other people) would rather never compromise morals, integrity or even my association with others to get gain.

• Like 12

Unbelievable, most people will be crucified for committing game laws but its ok for others because they are doing whatever it takes to get sponsors. I just really thought people valued hunting ethics and morals more than sponorships

Guys I appreciate the positive feedback about my podcast! As far as the Marlon Holden issue, I knew nothing of this until right now on this forum. After doing some quick checking with some sources, it appears there was a case from 2012 that ended in Mr. Holden being acquitted of all charges without prejudice and no conviction. No fines were given I believe the game and fish wanted an $8000 charge but it did not happen. I don't know what happened or even what it was about.

I will continue to attempt to bring good episodes on each episode moving forward.

Again thanks for the support!

• Like 9

Well here are the transcripts from May,2 2014

Marlon A. Holden Docket # 2014-0035 Holden pled not guilty in the Wilcox Justice Court for Citation 225917: Count A: Fail to tag immediately (mule deer); Count B: Invalid use of tag; and Citation 225919: Count A: Take over limit of mule deer; Count B: Possess unlawfully taken wildlife; and Count C: Export unlawfully taken wildlife. Court findings: All charges dismissed without prejudice; no conviction. This hearing before the Commission is held pursuant to the provisions of ARS. § 17-314. The Department asserts that Marlon A. Holden was responsible for the loss of one (1) trophy mule deer. Holden was not present. The Department received a letter from Mr. Holden’s attorney that Mr. Holden declined to be present. The case officer was present and answered questions for the Commission. Motion: Madden moved and Mansell seconded THAT THE DEPARTMENT BE DIRECTED TO COLLECT CIVIL DAMAGES OR TO BRING CIVIL ACTION AGAINST MARLON A. HOLDEN TO COLLECT THE AMOUNT OF $8,000.00 FOR THE LOSS OF ONE (1) TROPHY MULE DEER; THAT HE BE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE THE HUNTER EDUCATION COURSE, AND PROVIDE PROOF TO THE DEPARTMENT’S LAW ENFORCEMENT BRANCH, BEFORE APPLYING FOR ANY OTHER LICENSE TO HUNT IN THIS STATE; AND FURTHER MOVE THAT THE DIRECTOR, AS SECRETARY TO THE COMMISSION, BE DIRECTED TO SIGN AND ISSUE A FINDING OF FACT, CONCLUSIONS OF LAW AND AN ORDER IN THIS MATTER PURSUANT TO THIS MOTION.

and this is from the official public record ... looks like no criminal but Civil Fines and Provisions were cited before being able to Hunt in AZ again

• Like 1

Marlon is not most people style. Listening to him on the podcast he seems very intense. I do not know if I liked it or not, but I did find that podcast very interesting. Keep it up.