Sign in to follow this  
no worries

How does late Oct hunting differ from Nov/ Dec

My kids both have late Oct coues hunt in 36B. Just curious on how you guys hunt late Oct vs a November or Dec. hunt. Of course weather varies year to year but it's typically still pretty warm. Lots of water and staying hydrated is obvious, more interested in glassing/ hunting technique.

Thx Jim

Glass the shade and be out glassing mid day. You will see a lot of deer up and moving mid day when the sun shifts and they move for shade. Typically they will feed for a few minutes before laying down again.

hunt the same as all the rest ...All Day Hard !!! In 36B weather can be crazy( may be really so this El Nino) and deer movement even crazier... Don't Shy away from the thick well shaded cuts and once the hunt begins the nastier the terrain the better the bucks ( usually ) look for Ocotillios and put on some miles you will get your crack at em !

I've had both hunts several times in 36B over the years but I prefer the early one just to have first option in the bucks. It usually is quite warm the first one and pretty much the same the second. I've had variations where the first was cold though but not often. Either way it's a good time. I applied for an early leftover and will likely be heading down.

In 2010 the entire first Hunt did not get over 80 Degrees with nights in the mid 40's ... No real rain but pretty windy at times ... I bring up 2010 because it is the last year where we had similar El-nino patterns and they are saying this year is possibly building to be one of the wettest since 98 ... prepare to be warm but also prepare to be surprised it has happened too us on more than one occasion down there on all 3 hunts ... Personally I do not think the weather is ever too bad when you are hunting instead of working ...

• Like 1

I'm hoping there's little bucks running around everywhere that i can shoot at

find the does chewing on the Ocotillios and they will usually have a couple little guys running around with them ... May want to start at China tank

I put in for the early 36a tag. I like 36b way better but wanted to try the October hunt and there wasn't many tags for the 36b early leftover. Going with my buddy who has never killed a deer and would be happy with a little guy.

I've hunted both the October and early November hunts in 36B and personally feel that they are very different. By the time the November hunt rolls around, you can tell the deer are on high alert. The October hunt it warm, very warm, so be prepared. With some patience you should be able to locate deer by glassing. South slopes in the morning, North slopes in the day. Pick apart the shadows and find them bedded and moving around the shade.

I've had both hunts several times in 36B over the years but I prefer the early one just to have first option in the bucks. It usually is quite warm the first one and pretty much the same the second. I've had variations where the first was cold though but not often. Either way it's a good time. I applied for an early leftover and will likely be heading down.

You and me both. With only 27 leftover tags for the early hunt, the odds are not in our favor. I put the November leftover as my second choice just in case.

I put in for the early 36a tag. I like 36b way better but wanted to try the October hunt and there wasn't many tags for the 36b early leftover. Going with my buddy who has never killed a deer and would be happy with a little guy.

I almost did the same thing, but decided I'd just take my chances with 36B. I don't know 36A at all, and I'm not going to have the time to scout and learn a new unit.

ive been to both and saw far more deer and better looking country in b, but I killed in a before so I figured what the heck. ill probably just sit in the bar in arivaca for the whole hunt anyway

• Like 2

ive been to both and saw far more deer and better looking country in b, but I killed in a before so I figured what the heck. ill probably just sit in the bar in arivaca for the whole hunt anyway

Haha. I'll see you there!

• Like 2

Sit there long enough and you may just get you a local to drive you right out to the deer ... Or maybe one of the ranchers willing to pay a bounty for any big cat taken...

• Like 1