Sign in to follow this  
bringwolski

AZ mule deer help/guidance?

Hey guys,

I was recommended this forum from a gentleman on archerytalk so I figured I would give it a shot. I was just wondering if someone could point me in a direction for bow hunting some Az mule deer. I was recently planning a SD diy mule deer hunt for 2017 and on several forums people had said look at AZ for OTC tags. Well, I will be getting back from deployment relatively soon, then headed home to WI to hunt the rut for a month, and returning to California. The 2 areas I have been looking at are Unit 17B and 20A. Can any one steer me in a direction or steer me away if its a waste? Im not looking for a giant, Id just like to try and harvest my first Mule deer. I have a spotting scope and binos (im not sure if they're good enough though), and I am more than willing to put some miles on to see some deer. To be honest I dont even care if I harvest anything, Id just like to see some deer and have an opportunity to put my first stalk on. I haven't bow hunted since 2012 so i'm trying to make up for lost time in the outdoors. The reason I like 17B is because its open in december as well, and I was looking just north of the skull valley area. I was also looking at the big bug or crooks canyon in 20A. I plan to go during Christmas because we will have 3 or 4 days off for Christmas and another few days for new years. So I should have around 7 or 8 days total to hunt, maybe another weekend or 2 in late Jan. Any advice would be very welcomed or appreciated. Thanks for any help and taking the time to read my post.

-Ski

I forgot to ask if there is a certain elevation I should focus on? The areas im looking seems to be 4600-5600ft roughly. I have been studying the online maps from the AZGFD site and looking at the public land in the Prescott national forest.

there area a lot of units open in december for OTC archery deer. those units suggested do not hold the best populations of deer in the units that are open for that hunt. is mule deer a must? Arizona offers coues deer in the same hunt and they are a lot more unique trophy because there are not many places in the world that you can hunt them. i have not spent a lot of time in either of the mentioned units, but know they are pretty tough units

contact the Game & Fish Dept, and get the name of the game warden in the areas you want to hunt!...they are a very good source of information!

they well not steer you wrong!...happy hunting!!.. ;)

there area a lot of units open in december for OTC archery deer. those units suggested do not hold the best populations of deer in the units that are open for that hunt. is mule deer a must? Arizona offers coues deer in the same hunt and they are a lot more unique trophy because there are not many places in the world that you can hunt them. i have not spent a lot of time in either of the mentioned units, but know they are pretty tough units

GreyGhost,

Thank you for the reply. I would like to try mule deer first, as my grandfather used to hunt them and I have always wanted to accomplish what he did. Also thank you for the info on those units. I searched around a lot and did not find any information on either unit other than the AZ website. Seems norther AZ is pretty good but I was hoping to keep the drive under 6 hours.

Both 20a and 17b are great units and have tons of deer. There is a lot of pressure in both units and don't expect to see any monster bucks, but you shouldn't have an issue finding some mature bucks and getting some stalks in any of those spots you mentioned. Those are fun areas. Go out, explore, and have fun! Just pay it aback by posting a story and pics!

• Like 1

Oh, and about elevation; don't out think yourself in regards to elevation. There's some spots in 20a that can get a surprising amount of snow and that can push the deer lower but you should be fine in the areas you mentioned.

As the time draws closer, pm me. I live in the area and I may be able to take you out. I have some spots where we would get on some bucks, maybe we can work something out.

• Like 6

I'm actually hunting 20a for the OTC opener on Friday. I hunted it in January and put a stalk on a nice 3x3 but couldn't connect(limited to weekend hunting). From what I've read, the units does not hold trophy sized deer (doesn't really matter to me as I hunt for meat and the rack is a bonus) but a local my buddy's coworker knows said he had seen a 4x4 cross the hills behind his back yard a few times.when did you say you were coming to Arizona?

When I say no monster bucks I'm talking 200" monster "strip" size bucks. There are a few nice mature 4x4s to be had in both units.

Hunted 17b for deer & Javelina & I have to agree with greyghost deer population in that unit is not as good as other units for the December hunt. They are in there just have to do your homework & locate them.

Jonscaife thanks for the info, I will definitely shoot you a pm.

Goinhuntn- is there a unit you would recommend? I have been looking at the different units and the interactive map for those units.

Where are you stationed bringwolski? There are good mule deer spots all over the state. You dont even have to drive far depending where you are stationed.