Non-Typical Solutions

Toyota Tundra

The newer 4.6 is a great motor and I believe will get you in the 19-20 MPG zone. As said, leveled with bigger tires my 5.7 gets 16-17 on highway and that's actual checking with pen and paper. Not the oh my trucks gets this mileage even though I never actually have done the math like some guys do.

Hope this doesn't offend anyone but if 17 MPG isn't enough for you, you probably don't need a full sized 4 WD truck.

My Tacoma only gets around 20-21 with the old 2.7L 4 cylinder. I'm going to play with a few things to try and improve that too. It has 300k and runs like a top, but may do an engine build on it this winter to improve power and mileage. If I didn't haul a boat and lots of tools for work, my Tacoma would be all I need. I drive it whenever possible to keep the miles off the Tundra.

I had one of the old Smaller Tundras with the 4.7 motor. It was only a 2 WD and got 17-18 MPG actual mileage using math, not guessing. Great truck, but not impressed with the mileage. The new truck is several hundred pounds heavier, has 100 more horsepower and is 4 WD and is only 1 MPG worse. Guess it all comes down to what you need it for.

I'm sure I sound like a "Toyota" guy to most. I wasn't before. I've owned every brand of truck either personally or as part of a business I was part of. I am now hands down a "Toyota" guy. I just trust them.

The American trucks have come a long way, especially in the last 5 years, but it sure took them some time to catch up. They lead Toyota in nicer interior, better mileage and other categories, but rugged dependability belongs to Toyota. Power wise, the 5.7 with the 6 speed is pretty amazing too.

3/4 vs 1/2 ton.....sorry i will not buy another bailed out American car... even thought I still own a 01... will not buy another. Ford or Toyota

you know that Japan bombed the Unites States right?

does it say "chevrolet" on it? cuz if it doesnt, its not a real truck.

no it doesn't say "Chevrolet"..... entitled American car company bailed out on the American Tax Payer dollar...

a lifted 2 wheel drive Toyota? don't forget to get your rainbow sticker for it.

no jackwod.. just because I did not list every option... Its a 4x4,....

prior to purchasing a truck I stooped by a well known 4x4 shop to ask how much lifts cost, etc..since they spend all day under trucks, I wanted to know what was there opinion was on how new trucks where built.... "the tundra are built very well, they are like a 3/4 ton chevy" called another shop got the same answer

So Chevy must be pretty good then? I mean if a Toyota is built like them.... :D

3/4 vs 1/2 ton.....sorry i will not buy another bailed out American car... even thought I still own a 01... will not buy another. Ford or Toyota

Just wondering why they didn't compare it to a Ford or Dodge but rather to a Chevy.

• Like 1

Thanks to everybody with your input.....and then I walked into a dealership today and started quizzing them out about the Tundra...which they don't have on their lot.......and they said under no circumstances should I purchase a Toyota if I have pulling a camp trailer in mind????

I know......never as a dealer.......

Any 1/2 ton truck will pull a camp trailer. How big and how much does the trailer weigh? If it's too much for a half ton, you need a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel. If it's light enough to pull with a half ton, there is no more powerful half ton out there. The Tundra also has a Tow/Haul mode to keep the auto trans from shifting too much. I would imagine the others do now too. Used to only be a feature on the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

What dealer did you go to? One that has a bunch of used American trucks they are trying to sell?

Just a local dealer on the mountain. I couldn't remember which one handled the toyota so I asked the guy which one did. He asked what I was looking for and I told him that the biggest thing I would ever be towing would be a small to moderate camp trailer.

He absolute pushed me away from the Tundra......course all he has on his lot is Dodge and Chevy........so that is probably the biggest motivator behind the anti Tundra pitch

Just a local dealer on the mountain. I couldn't remember which one handled the toyota so I asked the guy which one did. He asked what I was looking for and I told him that the biggest thing I would ever be towing would be a small to moderate camp trailer.

He absolute pushed me away from the Tundra......course all he has on his lot is Dodge and Chevy........so that is probably the biggest motivator behind the anti Tundra pitch

Or he is just a brainwashed anti Toyota guy. All the full sized trucks will pull a small trailer. Used wise, there are some really nice trucks of all brands out there that will do the trick.

I've always thought Chevy makes the best looking trucks and have the nicest interiors though. I sacrifice that for the peace of mind Toyotas give me.

Some of these dealers act like the Tundra is the same as an old 22R Toyota pick up. They probably don't know or care how stout they are built and how much usable torque the 5.7 produces. I tow boats and trailers all the time. I drive through multiple western states through steep mountain passes. Trust me, you won't feel under powered.

Like anything, I would go drive all the half tons with all available motors and see how they feel. Get them on the highway, take them up some inclines. If the dealer doesn't allow an extended test drive, go to a different dealer.

Or he is just a brainwashed anti Toyota guy. All the full sized trucks will pull a small trailer. Used wise, there are some really nice trucks of all brands out there that will do the trick.

I've always thought Chevy makes the best looking trucks and have the nicest interiors though. I sacrifice that for the peace of mind Toyotas give me.

Some of these dealers act like the Tundra is the same as an old 22R Toyota pick up. They probably don't know or care how stout they are built and how much usable torque the 5.7 produces. I tow boats and trailers all the time. I drive through multiple western states through steep mountain passes. Trust me, you won't feel under powered.

Like anything, I would go drive all the half tons with all available motors and see how they feel. Get them on the highway, take them up some inclines. If the dealer doesn't allow an extended test drive, go to a different dealer.

Good to know, thanks for your input and info....

Up until yesterday I pulled my heavy horse/stock trailer with my Cummins and my Tundra. Tundra had no problems..and I usually drove it because it was more comfortable...

Love my tundra and yea, you don't pass very many gas stations but when your flyin up the hill towing a trailer it's worth every penny. I've got a 2010 5.7 with 3 inch leveling kit on 35's and get 12 MPG in the city.

My 2011 is for sale and I am buying a new 2015. Best truck I ever owned and last 2 were a ford F150 and a F250 diesel. The engine is a beast and I pull a 21' boat up the hills as fast as I did with the diesel. Another reason to buy one is the resale value. Show me any brand of truck that can fetch the same amount of cash after years of use.

• Like 1

Had a '10 CrewMax that would easily pull our 7000lb 32' camp trailer faster than it was safe to pull it. Towing capacity for that model was right around 11k, can't remember GVWR. Driven sensibly, empty and following speed limits, it knocked on 20 MPG. Driven like it wanted to be, it got closer to 16 MPG. Towing was less. Winter blend impacted mileage as much as driving habits. (Checked with math). It was a solid truck, and trumped any of the 1/2 ton offerings of the big 3, and quite solidly. I've driven them all, and have access to the data on a fleet of a couple hundred or so big 3 branded trucks going back a decade.

Tundras are built here, in Texas, with US and some Japanese parts. The origin of the major parts and labor going into any new truck is printed right on a sticker in the window. Many current Tundra drivetrain components are shared with the J200 Landcruiser and the Lexus GX 570.

A 3/4 ton diesel it's not, but a very solid, reliable, and over achieving 1/2 ton, yes. 90% of the users driving diesels don't need one, will never realize any benefit to having one, and couldn't understand a benefit/cost/return on investment analysis on the purchase and ownership costs anyway.

• Like 1