bobbyo

I am sick and tired of hearing about your elk tag!

Yes, let's stop talking about elk tags.

Let's talk about my unit 18A muzzleloader ANTELOPE TAG!

:P

That should be a slam dunk ;)

At least you should harvest a 90 incher :unsure:

JINX!

ok then 96"

I was going to send in a pic of my archery Bull Squirrel tag but I had to get so close it wasn't clear. I have struck out in az,ut, and nm. this year and last and the one before, hmm is this a pattern.

I feel your pain.

Just wondering, how do they score the "bulls" of this species, & what would be considered record book material? I have a little trouble discerning between the bulls & cows at 15+ yards, although I had one run right onto my boot last Sept. while still-hunting & based on what it dragged across my toes, I'm pretty sure he was a bull. <_<

Lance you must have some sneaky bulls and tricky spots to have bulls that grow all the way to september 10, the only bull I know of that is not hard horn by that time is possibly a spike. A normal mature elk will be hard horned by August 10-15 unless he is taking those magic beans your elk is taking. :lol: On the best of moisture years that bull won't go 450" when done growing at 1" a day, and on a bad year like this that bull will not go 410" at a 1/2" a day giving that it is 370" now.

It will be a good year for all with that coveted elk tag, but the 380" plus bulls will be far and few between just like last year. 2002 was very similar to what we are seeing this year, and as we all remember finding a bull with a 50" plus beam was quite a challenge. These bulls will show signs of drought on the top end and mass.

The important part is to enjoy your elk hunt and not worry about what the growth will be this year to last year or any year. Leave your ego's at home and have fun. It may be another 10-15 years before your next tag.

Jason

YES.

I said September but I was thinking Aug 10th. And then I added it wrong as well and didn't even think about it. BAhahah! :lol: (Don't try to fill out deer applications and type at the same time) So actually only 50 days from the time I took the picture to about when he will shed :( Poor guy, his forths are only 24 inches :(

(Hope that doesn't make me sound like I have a big ego, just having some fun!)

Any way, the glair from my Archery Antelope tag for units 10 and 18 is getting a little dull. I better go and polish it again! ;)

Lance

I was just making a sarcastic poke with the "below average antler growth", because I don't have a tag and I'm jealous as well as tired of hearing it as well. This post was about not wanting to hear it, remember? If I had an elk tag, I definitely wouldn't be complaining and I too would be totally excited just as everyone who draws ANY elk tag in AZ should be.

Now, Lance or anyone else surely might find a 400 inch bull, I'm sure one is running around and I've already seen a few that will probably end up near 360-370. That is a trophy bull, and I'm just saying IMO you probably shouldn't pass on anything near 350 unless you know where a bigger one is at or already have one on the wall. But, if you're kidding yourself and thinking the growth is not below average then I have some investments for you! I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic and hoping when I finally do draw an elk tag that Noah and the Ark come through Arizona!

Finally, do you think the drought hurt the prong size and growth this year for my antelope tag! Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

I was just making a sarcastic poke with the "below average antler growth", because I don't have a tag and I'm jealous as well as tired of hearing it as well. This post was about not wanting to hear it, remember? If I had an elk tag, I definitely wouldn't be complaining and I too would be totally excited just as everyone who draws ANY elk tag in AZ should be.

Now, Lance or anyone else surely might find a 400 inch bull, I'm sure one is running around and I've already seen a few that will probably end up near 360-370. That is a trophy bull, and I'm just saying you probably shouldn't pass on anything over 350 unless you know where a bigger one is at. But, if you're kidding yourself and thinking the growth is not below average then I have some investments for you! I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic and hoping when I finally do draw an elk tag that Noah and the Ark come through Arizona!

Finally, do you think the drought hurt the prong size and growth this year for my antelope tag! Sorry, but I couldn't resist.

We know your kiddin around. So is everyone. I think this heat wave is making us all a little loony :blink:

The growth depends on where the bulls are somering. I know some areas are gitting hit hard with drought like where I have my archery antelope tag :P And the bulls are stupid for staying there and trying to live off of prairie dog droppings. But some areas actually have allot of green grass. From what I can tell units 5-10 are doing better than they did last year as far as grass. Like I said though, some areas are just nasty. :( (My son has a 7E early rifle cow tag :rolleyes: ) But I have seen a handfull of mature bulls this year that we were watching last year and all of them are bigger or as big now as they were last year when they shed velvet. (I have a unit 23 NM Coues tag ;) ) And rightly so because there is alot more green grass in those areas than there was last year.

Hey Lance......that is one heck of a bull! I hope you guys get to put your hands on em'!

You know what I find funny, and it happens every year at this time, is how loosely some guys use the term....." 400" "! They are out there, even on bad years there will be one or two somewhere that has good feed, but It's funny how that number flys around so freely! I had a hunt a few years back that I put ALOT of time in scouting for. I started following up on all the leads and tips that came my way and soon realized that most people are actually 30 - 50 inches higher on their feild judging than what the animal actually was! I've gotten where I automatically assume the critter I'm hearing about is at least 30 inches smaller than what I'm being told! This obviously depends on the source and if pictures are available. I beleive all these magazines and videos on the market now have created this idea in some guys that 400" bulls are not that uncommon and these same guys seem to find 400" bulls all the time :blink:

I'm not talking about anybody on here.......I'm just hearing it on a daily basis lately and find it funny ;) I remember back when I used to think a 350 - 370 type bull was a 400" bull, so I understand where it comes from :P From what I'm seein' and hearin' this year will be similar to last year, maybe a tad better but still tough on the West side of AZ, and there will be some monsters killed and a better rut on the East side of AZ ;)

I do hope everyone finds and tags the bull of their dreams though.....regardless of what it scores! JIM>

First it was elk.Now everyone has an antelope tag? Who am I putting in with next year. Lance?

Mr. Green

Who cares about the friggen score?

If you like the animal, shoot it, if you don't pass. It's your hunt, not some joker with a record book and a score sheet.

The G&F wants to outlaw salt, baiting, lion hunting, ATV's etc, etc, etc, Well, I want to outlaw tape measures!

:ph34r:

Desertbull, that's the spirit. Don't scout, don't even bring the binocs. Smoke the first antelope you see with your once in a lifetime tag. Full on dude. Score is for geeks. Go for it.

Love the attitude,

Bob

Desertbull, that's the spirit. Don't scout, don't even bring the binocs. Smoke the first antelope you see with your once in a lifetime tag. Full on dude. Score is for geeks. Go for it.

Love the attitude,

Bob

Once in a lifetime? It's my second one in 7 years.

I can tell if an animal is big, mature, and worthy of hanging my tag on without a tape measure or a score sheet and I am not hunting to get my knob shined, my picture in a magazine, or my name in the record. To each his own, but that's not for me.

I also didn't say anything about not scouting or using binocs, if you knew me and know what I do, you would know that I am ALL ABOUT SCOUTING.

Well said Desert Bull, shoot whatever makes you happy screw the rest of the "WELL HOW BIG IS IT" people. First question out of evryones mouth.

I love to hear about the "Big Bulls and Bucks" every year. Usually what happens is that people get a glimpse and do not have the time to correctly score an animal. I only will guess a score if I can watch them for a long time. I am like most everyone else if it looks good shoot it! What I think is really cool is talking to an old timer that has the biggest mounts on his wall and doesn't even know what score means. We have a couple customers like that, and it is refreshing. Except asking them to take the mounts down to measure them! lol lol lol

I use a very simplistic field judging method: a) legal? B) illegal?

If legal then aim, shoot, gut, drag home & repeat following season.

If illegal then aim, squeeze button on camera, download picture to computer, & post on cw.com for others to see.

Might change my tune after shooting a few more animals w/ my bow, but for now, as someone who's pretty green, that's the way it is.

Might change my tune after shooting a few more animals w/ my bow, but for now, as someone who's pretty green, that's the way it is.

The smaller the horns the sweeter the meat. That's because the older they get they tend to pee all over themselves and roll in it once a year. Must be true, saw it in a video the other day. :lol: :lol:

torques my hide too when I read posts about who drew en elk tag and I didn't this year. I mean just cuz I drew 6 tags last year in the fall & spring hunts doesn't mean diddly come this years draw. That was then this is now and I'm not happy. Highway robbery I tell ya. It's all rigged. These folks must have made huge financial contributions to the G&F that we just don't know about. I demand a senate investigation.... Ok maybe not.

:blink: :unsure: :D

Thems some funny posts folks...

cmc