Guest akaspecials

Sick of hearing about you missing

Is it unethical to have buck fever. You have done everything right all year round practiced with your bow or rifle, everything is dialed in. Then comes the moment a nice deer steps out and your heart is racing, you have tunnel vision and as you pull the trigger the animal takes a step or jumps your string now he's wounded. I would say these are events that are apart of hunting. They have happened to me. What you do to fix the situation speaks volumes I.e follow up shot, doing what is necessary to ensure you harvest the animal.

And the buck fever is the best part of the experience, your body and mind is excited sure you can somewhat control it but we are human. If I ever shoot an animal and don't feel the emotion and excitement its time to stop hunting.

• Like 1

People pull the word "ethics" like a gun. They think the argument is over if they use it. Ethical=legal. It's legal to miss, therefor ethical. Lark.

• Like 2

I take it akaSpecial Olympics did not get as many people on board with him here as he was hoping. I don't like hearing about a person wounding multiple animals in the same hunt and wish more people would consider a mortally wounded, lost animal as a punched tag but there is no law against it. Misses happen. I've been taking a friend hunting the last couple august archery deer seasons and he is a good shot and seasoned hunter. Missed 7 consecutive shots within 60 yards before he finally connected, i just laughed about it. No harm (other than mental) done. Buck fever is no joke and happens to the best of us. Once that buck fever stops, it's probably time to find a new hobby.

• Like 4

Misses happen. Environmental, mechanical, mental and physical mistakes can creep into the best shot Do the best you can. Take shots you believe in. I missed my deer at 27 yards this year when the javalina 5 feet from me spooked the deer and he hopped to the side to look at them just ad I let the string slip from my fingers. Nothing I could have changed. It happens.

People pull the word "ethics" like a gun. They think the argument is over if they use it. Ethical=legal. It's legal to miss, therefor ethical. Lark.

It's also legal for a guy using archery equipment to shoot at a deer running strait away from him at 200 yards so according to the ethical=legal logic then said action would be defined as being ethical. (Ethical=legal)=false.

Saying that missing and wounding animals is not part of hunting is like saying that injuries are not part of football. It happens, all you can do is try and prepare yourself better so that in critical situations, you come in clutch.

• Like 3

It's not even elk season yet and everyday I hear about people missing or wounding animals. Missing and wounding animals is NOT "just part of hunting" as so many people claim. Please realize that you have a responsibility to take a clean and ethical shot that is within your capabilities. I shouldn't have to read this dribble everyday about people missing and wounding animals. It's sickening...

not duck season yet??? B)

James

This kind of pisses me off. The post I recently put out about the stupid no see ums was because my son and I were gridding an entire freakin mountain and canyon looking for a buck I hit and never found. Been a week and a half and it is still on my mind every day that I killed a deer that I never found. Spent 5 days pushing through scrub oak and manzanita, glassed for crows and sat under the stars for nights just to hope for some excited coyotes... All because I messed up. My tag is filled! The only perfect human I am aware of was killed about 2000 years ago! Have a nice day!

• Like 11

Nerd. You think anybody can wound an animal the way you described? Just gonna waste an arrow. But it's probly ok to shoot 1000 yds with a $6000 rifle and a $1500 range finder tho, ain't it. Legal, ethical, same thing. When you try to enforce ethics, aka your opinion, things really turn to $h!t. If someone wants to be stupid that's their right. And it takes quite awhile for anyone to get the experience they need to be deadly. Lotsa trial and error. Nobody needs the ethics cops squeelin like pigs hindering their progress. Hunting is a very intense process and folks hafta be able to make a few mistakes along the way. We are all trying to do the same thing, kill something. But we all do it in different ways. Folks need to support others who hunt legally and get off their "ethics" BS. All it is, is your opinion. In my opinion, folks should hunt. Lark.

• Like 3

It is Ethical to police yourself ! It is Ethical to state your opinions and debate your stance on any topic including legality... It is unethical to try and force or impose your will on everyone else. A good number of laws are unethical in a free society and why so many ignore or break them... those that do are doing something illegal are not always unethical, and the reverse can be true as well (just look at all the laws the wall street guys hid behind) .

To think that misses and injured game is always the product of a persons ability, or lack there of, is ridiculous. I have yet to meet a hunter (hope I never do ) that misses and lost injured game does not weigh more heavily on them, than any successes they have in the field.

I bet you shot a quail and didn't find it on the hunt that your avatar is from..

When I grow up, I hope to be as perfect as you.

• Like 1

I bet you shot a quail and didn't find it on the hunt that your avatar is from..

+1 I've never wounded a dove in my life.

Unfortunately, missing and, sometimes wounding IS part of the game.

I fancy myself decently lethal, and I NEVER take a shot I'm not confident about and I've lost a couple animals, and missed a couple more. (Never seem to miss the little guys though)!

Apparently your confidence exceeds your ability level. I understand making mistakes once a blue moon, but it seems as though it's a regular thing for you and you're writing it off as part of the game instead of taking responsibility to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Pick the firearm, pick the distance, pick the time and place, pot your money where your mouth is there hot shot.

• Like 5

+1 I've never wounded a dove in my life.

Or missed a dove, because he's against that too.