Sign in to follow this  
Ed67

Bullet selection

I'm a Berger guy, but there is a lot of evidence out there that Bergers tend to rupture too violently and don't get the rquired penetration when a shoulder shot is attempted under 200-300 yds. Stay away from the shoulder and you should do fine with the Berger. The accubond would be a better all-around choice at shorter distances.

I said for years that id never switch from the accubond. That's cause I used 180 grains on everything and notta single animal took a step after being hit with it. However, I started noticing that there was also never much damage to the animals, which was great as long as they drop in their tracks. Not great if you're trying to track. Maybe it's just me but it seemed like the Accubonds were going straight through the deer. Saw what the Berger vlds do to a deer and I'm switched for good. That vld can leave a massive hole. Almost lost a 100"+ wt last year cause there was zero blood after being hit with an accubond. I'll take some meat damage from a vld over that scenario any day!

• Like 1

I always use hornady interlocks. Never had a problem with one. Almost always wad up under the hide on the off side. Never come apart. And cost less than half of what they get for "premium" bullets. Lark.

Like azsugarbear said the bergers have had problems getting adequate penetration at short range (when velocity is still high). Penetration on a bull elk is a must. I'd stay away from the bergers. Accubonds are good all around bullets.

My .257 115 Berger HVLD @ 3400+ from the muzzle put my big muley down with a complete pass through at 150+/- yards. Probably still doing about 3050fps.

I know, different bullet weight/caliber/animal, but penetration was PLENTY for an elk at close distance. I have seen Bergers from high velocity guns and close range just flat destroy animals. And they work phenomenally at long range too. I LOVE them once you get your load worked up.

I hope to have my daughter use my .300RUM with the 215 Hybrids on a big bull this year. From 20 yards to 1000 yards, should work just fine.

I also hope to have her try out my 6.5 SLR slinging 140 VLDs on mulies too. Again, from 20 to 800+, I will have no worries they will work if put in the right place.