Kilimanjaro

Alpine/Greer area cabins???

Does anybody know of any cabins I could see about renting next weekend in the Alpine/Greer area?? I am wanting to get the heck outta the heat and do a bit of fishing and relaxing in a nice cabin in the cool mountain air.. I would like to try and find a place that is really nice.. I looked online and found tons that are "run of the mill" places, but nothing that really piqued my interest.. The Red Setter Lodge looked really nice.. I was thinking maybe there.. Any ideas guys?? Are there any that you could recomend? And maybe a place to wet a line and catch a bite or two??

thanks!

Does anybody know of any cabins I could see about renting next weekend in the Alpine/Greer area?? I am wanting to get the heck outta the heat and do a bit of fishing and relaxing in a nice cabin in the cool mountain air.. I would like to try and find a place that is really nice.. I looked online and found tons that are "run of the mill" places, but nothing that really piqued my interest.. The Red Setter Lodge looked really nice.. I was thinking maybe there.. Any ideas guys?? Are there any that you could recomend? And maybe a place to wet a line and catch a bite or two??

thanks!

Good luck! The Red Setter and the Greer Lodge are "really nice," but I doubt if you will find any vacancies next weekend -- there or anyplace else in Greer. This time of year everything's booked way in advance.

Bill Quimby

Scotty, we rent a cabin over in greer every summer, in fact, I am counting the days until july 26 when we are going for 10 days. Here is a link to Greer Cabin Keepers, they maintain and rent out most all the cabins in Greer. We are staying in Sleigh Cabin for the 4th year this year.

http://www.greercabinkeepers.com/

There are a ton of cabins, but like Bill said, on short notice you may be out of luck. The Red Setter is the most beautiful place, it has won best bed-n-breakfast in the state several times. Greer Lodge is also very nice, with their own fly fishing trout ponds, it is spectacular.

If you are in the camping mood, you should check into Winn Campground which is up on the mountain above Greer on the road to Big Lake, and it is real close to Lee Valley Reservoir which has to be one of the most beautiful lakes in the state. Even has arctic greyling.

hope that helps,

Darren

thanks!

hello : i stay at heaven's scent cabin , they are really nice and out like a couple of miles from the main road, thaey have a website if you like to look, with my wife and kids we've going for years and we love it.

hope was of any help.

Hi Scottyboy,

I don't know about cabins up there, but when I visit my friend up in Alpine we usually go fish Becker lake. It's great for float tubing and flyfishing for trout.

Amanda

You may also want to try the cabins on hawley lake on the rez land up there. They are nice cabins. They were owned by non native americans until the area was given back to the rez and now the cabins that were not destroyed by the preveous owners are for rent. When people were told they were loseing there nice family cabins to the trade some of them ruined there cabins. But the ones that have been remodled and refurbished are great for family trips.

We've stayed at the Redsetter, it's awesome and a can't miss if you can get in. Never know, you might be able to pick up a cancellation. If not maybe Bill will rent you a spot on the floor. LOL

Scottyboy, try this place, The Bunkhouse at Juniper Hill . It's in Nutrioso at the base of Esqudilla Mtn and right in the middle of everything(Alpine, Greer and Springerville). Greer is going to be CRAZY this time of the year so staying in Alpine/Nutrioso is your best bet. You'll have access to all the lakes from here and being away from Greer is the plus. Alpine Cabins behind the Bear Wallow Cafe is okay, kind of rustic if you know what I mean but worth the stay, I just cannt remember their number right know. You could always camp in the forest somewhere with shower access at Big Lake. Here's link to The Bunkhouse:

http://www.cybertrails.com/~kstruthers/index.htm

Hope you have a nice time away from the heat...

Ernest

My wife and I just returned from South Fork, which is just on the other side of the mountain from Greer. We stayed at the MLY Ranch. There are only 2 cabins, but they're well maintained, quaint, and private. The cabins are only a mile or so from the X Diamond Ranch, in fact two sisters own the ranches. The south fork of the little colorado river is just a hundred yards or so from the cabin. There's a meadow just behind the cabins where elk and deer graze in the evening. We had a fabulous time.

If you need additional info, don't hesitate to email or PM me.

KP

thanks for the sugesstions guys.. I had already tried several of the places that ya'll said would be good, but they had already been booked. . found a place in Pinetop that had an open cabin, so I snatched it up.. gonna be nice to get outta the heat and throw a line in the water..might even throw myself in!!

thanks for the help!

Hi Scottyboy,

I don't know about cabins up there, but when I visit my friend up in Alpine we usually go fish Becker lake. It's great for float tubing and flyfishing for trout.

Amanda

Amanda: Becker's great in April/May, but I suggest you try higher elevation lakes such as Big, Reservation or Hawley in mid-summer. Becker is a couple of thousand feet lower. It's warmer and can have a weed problem in July/August. If you're staying in Alpine, you might want to try Sierra Blanca Lake. It's a walk-in, but it's usually a good late afternoon trout lake throughout the summer and it's closer than Becker to Alpine. My personal favorite for fly fishing is the upper end of Sunrise ever since Bob Hirsch and I lost count of the really big brook trout we caught on woolly worms just off the mouth of one of the lake's feeder streams one morning. I seem to remember that the fish we kept averaged 3 pounds. That was a long time ago, but Sunrise still is a good bet. Best of all is Christmas Tree Lake, but I haven't kept up on what the Apache rules are now.

Bill

Well, I have only fished Becker in July and it's been great and haven't noticed a big weed problem. It certainly is warmer down at Becker than those higher lakes that Bill mentioned. I just fished Sunrise the other day and we caught some nice trout which we had for dinner tonight! Go catch some big ones Scottyboy and grill them up for your wife! :D

here is a pic from our fishing trip at Becker last year during the monsoons. It can get interesting trying to kick your way back to shore in a float tube when the lightning is moving in on you!

post-1-1183270375.jpg

Amanda

Scottyboy, my wife and I have fished this time of year the last several years up around Greer and I think you wouldn't be disappointed with Big Lake. It's higher and cooler than others. Not to far from there is Reservation Lake but you will need a res. license. I'm told the road to Winn Campground is closed for the summer due to the road construction.

Bill, John Romer, from the Arizona Fly Shop rented Christmas Tree Lake out yesterday and the fishing was slow. I believe you are allowed 30 people and it usually is rented out this time of year thru the next couple months. The road also is a little rough getting in.

TJ

I love camping in the big meadow parks near Big Lake this time of year...... there are still a few sheds laying around if you look, and some good Yote hunting as well!! We have found the fishing at Reservation lake to be very good.... There are some monsters in there! Good luck and have a great time!!