Sign in to follow this  
3rd gen native

Scrambled quail

Was out scouting for birds last evening southwest of benson,

Parked my rear on a rock pile overlooking a water tank glassing for birds coming in for water.

Fifty yards out I could here some gambels doing the keep it all close fellas as they moved to the tank, Two males jump up on the

side of the trough doing scout duty. As I focus on them I realize the one with his back to me doesn't look quite right.

His top knot is russet colored and has no curve. Little devil turns around and I'm dropping mud!

My first ever sighting of a scrambled quail is looking back at me!!

these have got to be one of the most unique and striking looking game birds, His chest and underwear were horseshoe belly scaled quail while the neck , throat and head were a magnificent blend of scaled and gambels features.

I watched as the covey moved off and never saw him or others like him as the shadows crept in .

Living in sierra vista/Hereford these last dozen years I've occcasionally seen a mixed pair running around during mating season

but never saw any resulting hatchlings of the cross.

how many others have come across these hybrids while out scouting or hunting. i'll be hunting this area opening day and this time carrying a camera. Good luck too all if you are out this weekend!!!!!

• Like 3

You are extremely lucky to have seen one. I know a guy who's been hunting in this state for over 50 years and has only came across 1 his entire life. I wish they could reproduce but they can't. They look really cool. David Brown a AZGF biologist mentions these birds in his book "Arizona Game Birds".

I bet that was cool to see! Too bad no pics, but I know the feeling of wanting to have pictures of something you may never see again ... Seen a conjoined twins quail hatchling a few years back maybe a week or two old and was blown away that it was getting around, but no cam to take a shot. I came back to the area with a cam every day for a couple weeks hoping to find it again and never did. Mother nature can do some crazy things.

They are an awesome bird! Here are a few that I have taken over the years...

attachicon.gifscrambleslamMB.jpg

Is that a taxidermy piece? If not, it should be.

We've had a few near the house for a few years. I didn't exactly understand what was happening lol. Made a post about it a few years back. Still here intermingling, saw them tonight when I was watering. Cool birds! If we ever move I told the wife we're taking them with us. She asked how are we gonna do that? I said in the freezer.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words jones, ron, brad. The 2nd pic isn't taxidermy and I have heard others call it a scramble slam or super slam but I just call it lucky. I'm fortunate and grateful to spend a lot of time chasing quail with my dogs.

3rd gen: Hope you are able to find that bird tomorrow!

• Like 3

Great thread and some great pics. I'll b keeping my eyes peeled.

• Like 1

Hello troops, was out opening thru sunday with AZ. redman pulled into the spot where we saw the scrambled male.

Let the short hairs out (2) and started the hunt. Forty yards from the truck the dogs lockup, Jaeger takes lead with Sissy backing him on the other side of a low lying masquite mass with tall grass surrounding it.

Dogs push in as we take our stand and out pops a couple dozen mearns? !!!

Hunted this area for the last ten years and never have I seen mearns here. We let them go while we mopped up the drool from the dogs and ourselves.

One draw over the s.h.'s lock up again, Thinking it might be a few strays from the mearns covey we were a little aloof.

WRONG!!! out jumps a huge covey of scalies, Quickly recovering we manage a pair apiece, Close to fifty birds in this covey

dogs were having a tough time finding the downed birds after they wind washed, So we ambled around a few minutes until they could pickup scent, Birds had scattered well and were starting regroup calls, Off we go in the direction of calling.

Sissy locks up and Jaeger takes second position. We move in and the whole side of the hill explodes!!!

This scenario repeats every fifty to seventy yards the rest of the morning. Numerous young birds some only a few weeks old are jumping and fluttering down a few yards from flush point.

I never got to see that scrambled guy in three days of hunting, But three limits apiece of scales each over the three days got my old ticker pumping like a teenager. It's been a long dry spell since I've seen this many scalies.

We left Sunday only just barely tapping the area, Wierd part was seeing mearns in the area, This is not a fluke as we jumped others farther out, What's even wierder is the Gambles that used to be here seem non existing only collected two in the three days and they were running with the scalies.

The lord has been kind to this old boy!! Hoping that others are enjoying the bounty we did as well!!

Hope to see you in the field and God bless!!! Greg/ 3rd gen native

• Like 1

That is awesome to hear the rebound of Scalies. Their numbers have been pretty low several years now. Congrats on your success!