Sign in to follow this  
Thomas11

Elk draw

Does anyone know for sure if the 5% rule in bonus pass for elk tags was passed for NR? The state was proposing that 5% of NR tags would be reserved for the random draw so most of the tags weren't being all filled in the bonus round. If so, my other question is how do most of you feel this will reflect in NR's draw strategies? I would think the top point holders would apply for a easier tag and lower point holders may chase a premium tag. Idk? Maybe it doesn't really change a lot except for the top point holders to lose a guaranteed a tag or take them longer to draw out.

• Like 1

Don't think it has passed yet but it will.

It will give NR with few points a better chance at tags and will also increase the tags drawn by residents. A win for both those groups, at a cost to the NR with a high number of points. They had to do something because there are hunts a NR had zero chance of drawing. It seems even though that gets mentioned, few NR take the time to actually understand if all they're doing is buying a point.

It is a cap, not a guaranteed 5% and 5%. In most units where high BP Non-res hunters put in, there is almost always more with max points than the cap will allow. This now caps at 5% which in most units is very few tags, and then puts the others in the general draw.

So lets say last year there were 20 guys that wanted unit 9 early archery bull. Last year there were 100 tags available. I will just about guarantee that 10 of those went to Non-Res. (10% cap) When this passes, only 5 would be guaranteed to Non-Res, and the additional 5 would have to be drawn randomly. This "could" mean more tags for residents.

• Like 1

So let me see if I understand this correctly. I will keep it in at 100 to keep percentages easier. 100 tags and 20 go in the BP, 5 of those would be NR with max points and 15 would be resident. Then the other 5 NR would be drawn in the general draw. So a few NR might get some tags without max points but keep the NR to 10%.

So point creep for NR would possibly increase every year but point creep for residents would go down as you are drawing 5 more in the BP. If you had 20 NR hunters with max points first year then second year you would have 15, third year you would have 10, fourth year you would have 5, fifth year all would be drawn and 6 year you would go to a new group with max points.

Resident hunter max points would go down as you have more residents with max points being draw each year. If you had 20 residents with max points you would draw 15 the first year, the second year you would draw the five highs and 10 in the next group, etc..

I completely support it as residents should have a better opportunity to hunt the animals in their state.

So basically the residents will get more tags in the bonus pass and NR will get 5% in the random draw, which in the past NR really didn't draw any "random draw tags except the lower end units". NR still get 10%, just allocated differently? Correct? I think it's a win win for everyone

I would think that less non res will draw in the random, because it is random, and the 5% will probably not be reached. But you never know, because its random. I like the new structure on paper, but only time will tell.

HuntHarder, There is no reason for AZGF to change anything based on the above descriptions.

The reason they want to change it is they need new blood . The current system is not attracting new hunters because they realize they will never draw a good tag because they will never have enough points to draw.

The up to 5% in the bonus pass is for non - residents .

The additional up to 5% in the main draw will be designated to non- residents given them a slight but at least a chance to draw a coveted tag!!

Yeah, I was not going to get into why they are doing this, just the effects it "could" have. If you get into why they are changing this rule, it will turn into a shoot slinging fight, both pro Game and Fish, and con game and fish.

So basically in "random draw" residents and NR compete for the remaining tags and NR aren't neccesarily guaranteed the 5%. It's not two seperate pools for NR and residents in the random draw? Correct

There has to be a guarantee for the non- res in the random draw. Or it doesn't make any sense to change it.

And yes it would have to be separated from residents.

So really the added advantage to a resident hunter is in the bonus pass round . More residents would draw in that round!

Really if you think about it's a no- brainer. Unless your a non- res with max points. 😆

There is no guarantee that 5% of random tags go to Non-Res, same as now, no guarantee that 10% goes to Non-Res. This would simply give a non-res a "chance" at a unit 9 archery bull tag without max points. The way I understand it is, no change will be made to the draw except changing 10% to 5% in bonus and 5% in random. Both still being a cap and not guaranteed and the draw not separating Non-Res and Residents. If anyone knows something different, post it.

I see it was maybe by giving them a chance, more will apply, which will, in turn, create more Non Res hunting licenses being sold. It is really a win for everyone involved except the High bonus point Non-Residents. I wonder how the guide services feel about this. Possibility of less out of state clients, but maybe more in state.