Sign in to follow this  
bgshooter

Advise Needed

I saw a Remington 700 .243 in a pawn shop yesterday. I believe it's a youth model since the LOP felt short when I shoulder'd it. Asking price was $380 (guessing plus tax...I should have asked).

Condition, it looks pretty good. Can use a good cleaning. Action is smooth and I didn't see anything wrong while inspecting it. I did get the serial number started with a "G" so I believe it was manufactured 1986 (can someone confirm that?).

Do you guys think this is a good buy? What would be a good bottom dollar offer I could make on this rifle? This would eventually be my son's rifle when he's ready for it.

Other rifle I was considering was the Savage Axis Youth for $300 at Cabelas.

Thanks!

I will assume for that price it is an ADW model w. the blind magazine, no floorplate?

Not a bad price. Action alone are $450-500.

As mentioned the price is more than fair. But dealing with a pawn shop I would offer them 350 for it. They will most likely accept that offer. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

There's a used Savage 110 with bases and rings in .243 for $269 at my local store for a comparison. I thought seriously about buying it.

If you do buy the 700, please have Remington fix the safety. Some of these guns will fire when the safety is moved to fire. Google it.......Just want you to be aware.

If you do buy the 700, please have Remington fix the safety. Some of these guns will fire when the safety is moved to fire. Google it.......Just want you to be aware.

the thing i saw said not a single one misfired that didnt have trigger work done to it

I forgot about that safety issue. Still a good deal though just make sure you check that it's been fixed. My brother years ago blew a hole through the door of his truck with one that had that problem. Sence then he had it fixed and hasn't had any issues with it. Great rifle and that blued steel sitting on top of walnut is getting hard to come by now days.

• Like 1

Hmmm...I don't think the pawn shop would have any history as far as the safety issue goes.

PRODUCTS: Remington Arms Company, LLC (“Remington”) is voluntarily recalling Remington Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles with X-Mark Pro® (“XMP®”) triggers, manufactured from May 1, 2006 to April 9, 2014.

That's what I found. If I'm correct on the year it was manufactured, should be ok right?

Nope that ain't it. It was a early 80' issue. Anybody with that rifle as far as I can tell Remington will still fix it for free.

They go for less around Christmas time from Sportsmans Wearhouse.

I picked up my daughter's Remmy 700 for $299ish.