So today was the day Hornady relased their info on their long range bullets, that they have been designing for 4 or so years. They have some interesting concepts, that i myself have questioned about polymer tipped bullets. Sounds like they are releasing a match grade bullet, match grade hunting bullet, and a match box ammo. They are claiming some high B.C. numbers. Any initial thought?

http://www.hornady.com/new-products

post-5949-0-32389800-1445997092.jpeg

post-5949-0-49959900-1445997243.jpeg

post-5949-0-95275400-1445997254.jpeg

There has been much good discussion over at Len's Long Range Hunting Forum including this link to a White Paper that accompanied their video and provides much deeper insight into what Hornady has done. This link was provided by Bullseye:

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/resources/ELD-X_ELD-Match_Technical_Details.pdf

It is a very good read and IMHO Hornady does a good job of letting the data speak and doesn't bash other manufacturers. No matter what if you are a ballistics geek, this is a great read and you will appreciate Hornady's investment in research and development.

Honestly I am not sure how much this will impact me personally as I keep my hunting shots inside 300 yards. I like the challenge of shooting further and shoot in silhouette when my ego needs correcting (out to 500m), but would rather get closer to game. However, if I was to go back to AK or even get to do Africa sometime, I would work up a load with this new bullet (once they make it in a large enough caliber) just for the insurance.

• Like 1

Many of those bullets will not stabilize in standard factory barrels with their slow twists, but the guys with fast-twist custom barrels who shoot at long range should love them.

From Hornady file on the ELD

Simply reducing the muzzle velocity of a projectile in a ‘standard’ twist rate barrel is not adequate for low speed impact testing. The resulting bullet spin rate and stability would be much lower than actually occurs and would not provide accurate projectile dynamics or terminal performance. Hornady used test barrels with fast twist rates, matched to actual impact velocities and spin rates calculated by the PRODAS computer code that provided the correct bullet impact and rotational velocities corresponding to the extended range impact velocities. All test barrel terminal performance results were confirmed with conventional tests at exact distances with standard barrels.

Assuming the form factors are high enough, those BC values are possible. In fact, they're in line with other low drag bullets of similar weights. Hornaday does a much better job of measuring and publishing BCs than most bullet manufacturers. Now that they're using Dopler to 800 yards for testing, they'll definitely be among the best manufacturers for accurate, reliable data. Sierra, Berger and Hornaday have led the way for years. All will acquire slightly different values for each others bullets simply for the fact that they use different methods, equipment, distances and there is always room for some error in any set up.

Much remains to be seen as to how these will fly and perform on game as well as how accurate their BCs are but I've never had a reason not to trust Hornaday. Their amax line has been the most accurate line of bullets I've used in every rifle and caliber I've used and their BC values have been pretty close at long range and spot on for the methods they used and distances they tested them to.

I back ordered 300 each of the 6.5mm 143, 7mm 162 and 175, 30 cal 178, 200, 212 ELDX's.

• Like 1

I have fired more 178 AMAXs than any other bullet both for practice and overall ballistic testing for my own personal gratification. I don't know if that makes me qualified to offer any opinions here but I'll offer some possible evidence to support Hornady's claims.

The attached picture shows both new and fired 178 AMAXs.

308 Win 5R. 2550'/sec MV. Distance 650 yards.

What I do know is that the 178 starts strong and while all bullet's BCs degrade over time due to decaying velocity, the 178's BC decays VERY rapidly past 600 yards. Much faster than many other bullets of similar weight. Now I know that the 178 AMAX is far from sleek compared to many other bullet lines but neither is the 175 SMK, however the 175 SMK's BC doesn't decay nearly as bad as the 178 AMAX.

Between the bullet pictured here and the rapid decay rate of the 178 AMAX, I'm inclined to believe what Hornady is saying.

You be the judge.

M

post-3424-0-39644700-1446324734_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Good read!

The findings do make a lot of sense and I will be giving the Hornady bullets a run next year. Assuming we can find the dang things!

That being said I have been shooting the Nosler LR Accubond with fantastic results, 168gr, 7mm RM. 7 deer and 1 bear in the last 3 years and all were one and done from 260yds to 530yds. I shot these out to around 800yd and had very good accuracy. Previous to these I shot the Berger's and still do. The wierd thing is I had slightly better ballistic (drop) performance with the Noslers.

Not bragging on the game taken (i was not the only shooter) just bringing it up because I think the changes must be small with the polymer tips and their relevance to accuracy must be VERY small. I still think it could be worth the change and agree any pick up in accuracy/consistency is worth a change no matter how small.

I can't wait to see the first findings and testing results we see from hunters in the field on this forum.

Get a load of these babies. No tip melting problem here. From Lt to Rt 170 gr .308, 239 gr .338, and 269 gr .338. Aluminum melts at about 1220 degrees F

post-11570-0-02332800-1452436993_thumb.jpg