Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

Mount Storage?

I have 8 mounts that just don't fit in our tiny house. Id like to store them up until the time I can get an addition built. Does anyone have any good ideas for keeping them safe from bugs and damage? I'm considering bagging the heads in plastic and storing them in plywood crates.

IMO, don't loan them to a shop unless you want Rudolph noses and garland hung on them. to the employees of the store they are just a fixture. and depending on how long they are there, the new manager may believe they are the stores.

I would suggest either finding a friend to let him hang them up and take care of them or find a cool dry location. clean the mount or have it cleaned, treat it for bugs, bag it tight with plastic and then protect it with a box(plywood). and every 3-6 months inspect for bugs and retreat.

• Like 1

its called storing them at your cuzz's domicile....if you absolutely have to.

IMO, don't loan them to a shop unless you want Rudolph noses and garland hung on them. to the employees of the store they are just a fixture. and depending on how long they are there, the new manager may believe they are the stores.

I would suggest either finding a friend to let him hang them up and take care of them or find a cool dry location. clean the mount or have it cleaned, treat it for bugs, bag it tight with plastic and then protect it with a box(plywood). and every 3-6 months inspect for bugs and retreat.

Jim, when you say treat for bugs, what's the process/chemical?

Thanks for the info Jim. Pretty much what I thought. Same question as Irish Rob, I usually bug treat with normal aerosol household spray is that sufficient?

Stored mine for a couple years in crates the moving company built for them...then they wrapped the entire crate in plastic wrap. Don't know if this is proper storage, but they seem fine.

Any type of aerosol spray will work or a concentrated liquid you mix in a sprayer. look for something that kills beetles or demistids. the bugs will get thru any type of plastic, that not saying don't use plastic. the plastic helps keep things clean, just keep an eye on them. the sooner you catch them the lesser amount of damage they will do.