Jnj13

DIY Father Son 22N Bull Elk Hunt

Good morning CW forum. Newbie elk hunter. My son killed his first couse deer year and has the 22N Nov Bull Elk hunt next week. I have the big responsibility now of fostering my sons love for the hunting but I have never hunted elk. I call Payson my second home and know the area well. We have spent time in the unit scouting and I have talked to some locals that were actually quite excited and very generous to help out a youth hunter. I guess my concern is what to expect next week. The areas I have in mind look gnarly. I’m not sure packing out a bull elk will be possible. I’m also concerned that they may have a heavy concentration of other hunters. Did I overlook some easier terrain for a father son DIY hunt? We are not trophy hunting. In fact, I think we may be better of with a smaller bull but I really do want him to be successful or at least have an opportunity to be.

Is the late hunt just about the nasty cuts, canyons and draws or does some of the high mesa type terrain still hold some bulls?

Thanks for any support, ideas, or feedback and hopefully we have a story to share soon.

I suggest you call Game and Fish. Ask for the biologist for 22N and walk him through your questions.

• Like 1

22n. Man, I still have scars from the last time I hunted there. With my boys too. Get a hatchett to chop your way through the manzanita. There are always a lotta Bulls around the dump. Preacher canyon under diamond point is real good the first day. It only lasts 7 days. You can put up with a bunch when you know it's only for 7 days. Have fun with your kids. Lark.

• Like 1

isn't this hunt kind of like a dove hunt?! Hunters everywhere shooting at the same animals! All kidding aside good luck to all. I know it can be a high success hunt if one you are at the hot spots first (better scout a day or two prior to the opener and be sitting in shooting position in the dark in Friday morning) or two you find some bulls off the beaten path.

• Like 1

Just cut it up into smaller pieces and pack it out... no such thing as: Not possible to pack out." Look up the "gutless method" of boning out an elk... usually plenty cold enough in the shade on that hunt to keep all the meat till you can make enough trips to get it all... hang the quarters, take the meat off the torso first critters might eat on the scraps but will leave the hanging quarters alone. Good hunting.

• Like 7

It ain't that bad, get a good pack frame, lots of great bulls in the pines away from all the hunters.

My dad had this hunt last year and he tagged out the 2nd day. We were into bulls 3 outta the 4 places we hunted. I have a tag in the pack this year and am really excited it was a very fun hunt last year. Weather looks to be good so far for the hunt. It is definitely a rugged hunt. I would say pack frames are a must! We only had 1 last year and our other 3 guys helping had just regular day packs and they were not cutting it.