Sign in to follow this  
isaluca

whitetail on unit 23 very low

i was on unit 23 today and i was driving down i saw a bunch of whitetail, a list 4 around a water tank and it was

at 2500 ft, i never see them that low, maybe because i never look for them that low, does anyone see them that low,

and do they eat a mule deer diet?

You may be surprised at how many live right on the flats in some units. I have seen some of the biggest bucks right out living in the flats, I think they feel more protected and have shade in spots all day and just like the flats. There is food (mesquite beans, cholla, barrell cactus fruit) so they have cover and food..........Allen.........

i killed my 85" gross buck in the flats. at this time of the year it wouldnt surprise me to see them at any elevation, ESPECIALLY if they are at water.

Last year on my Unit 33 Nov hunt I killed a whitetail buck really low down in the muley country. Not sure if they are normally there or if they were pushed by the hunting pressure. My thoughts were that the pressure pushed them lower, that is why I decided to hunt low toward the end of the hunt. My buddy kikked a whitetail buck in unit 40 last year. Not sure of the exact elevation but it was some where around 2000 feet. I think if they must they will adapt to just about anything.

I keep seeing them where they are not suppose to be in 22, 23 and 24. I think the drought may be a factor since they have had to move to perm water alot over the last decade.

I have seen them in unit 22 very low while pig hunting, just past "the boulders" on the bee line highway. then a few months ago i saw a couple up in the pines in 22 on control road about 10 miles east of strawberry. it seems like more and more i see them in the pines.

I have noticed that some of the illegals garbage higher up has pushed them down into some washes wher eI hunt.