Sign in to follow this  
azbirdhunter88

99 24 valve cummins

search cumminsforum.com

They have a great write up on the 3rd gen injectors and I bet they probably have one for the 2nd gen too.

I did injectors in my 2005 cummins. It isn't terribly hard if you are mechanically inclined but I was fortunate enough to have my diesel mechanic buddy help me out. The main thing is don't cut corners, keep everything CLEAN, and torque specs are important. I think injectors on the 2nd gen trucks are easier then 3rd gen. I know they are cheaper.

Harley

• Like 1

also adjust your valve lash while you are in there. that will help out a fair amount too.

Cumminsforum has come info on replacing injectors and valve lash, but I can't copy and paste them for some reason.

They say injectors are a 3/10 job on replacement.

Be very careful with the injector tubes and torqueing them and correctly installing the brackets that hold them. Those little brackets are very important. They help keep the injector fuel supply tubes stable. If you don't use them or don't put them back on right you can run the risk of the tubes vibrating and cracking.

I believe the #4 tube is also known to crack on its own so search that and possibly replace that tube anyway when you are in there.

google this.

cumminsforum 24v injector replacement

On their website the valve lash adjustment article is in the tech article section under 98.5-02 tech articles.

I miss mine. Best engine ever made.

. Twelve valves even better.
  • Like 1

Ya I would take a 12 valve again. Went to the 24 valve at 1998.5 and they had some electronic issue but after that think they are all good.

I did it for myself because I had my buddies help. I would prob do it again if I had too but I wouldnt chance messing up someone elses truck.

If you need a shop to do it I can recommend a couple good ones.

Are the injectors bad, and has that been verified?

I loved my 98.5 24v and wish I would have kept it as well as getting my 2005. I should have used it for my beater truck. It was a great truck. Hindsight 20/20.

Do you have a programmer yet?

If not start with a Smarty and if you feel froggy stack it with a tst.

If you tow and have not upgraded the exhaust and transmission/clutch start there.

If you don't have mods yet start here. If you have not done everything before I listed injectors you probably don't need injectors yet unless there is something wrong with them.

Gauges (egt and lift pump pressure minimum, boost, trans temp if you have an auto)

Exhaust

Bhaf air filter

Lift pump and 2 micron fuel filter

Programmer

Trans/clutch upgrades

Stack programmers and or turbo

Injectors and or turbo

Harley

What do you have so far along with supporting mods, and how much power do you want?

Do you tow?

Have you tried jacking it up a few inches higher? Maybe some blacked out All star rims? That seems to be the best bang for your buck when it comes to getting more horsepower. If all else fails try a flatbed and a big a$$ bumper.