Sign in to follow this  
lonne

Bear Ribs

Merry Christmas everyone!

Cooking up some bear ribs today for my mom and dad, wife and son. Got this recipe from Bear Hunting magazine, Sept/Oct 2014.

Approximately 7 lbs of bear ribs

Simple Steps:

1. Trim excess fat off of the ribs, but leave some to keep them moist while cooking.

2. Liberally coat the ribs in Barbeque sauce. I used KC Masterpiece Private Stock Reserve Original BBQ Sauce.

3. I raised the temp of the Bradley Smoker to 200 degrees, and then back down to 180. I used Hickory bricks and let two burn in it. Then I put the temp at 185 for 2 hours. The official recipe says "Put in hickory smoke for 2 hours at 180 degrees."

4. Wrapped the ribs in foil and moved to the oven preheated at 180 degrees (started at 200 and brought it down to 180). Official recipe says "Then wrap in foil and move to oven for 5-6 hours at 180 degrees (total of seven to eight hours)."

5. Slice and enjoy. Just took a bite after 5 hours (7 total), dang it's good!!! Cooking the larger rack a little longer.

It says it's a good recipe for any "skeptics", I've never been a skeptic but I'm most certainly a believer now!

Lonne

• Like 2

Awesome, 180 sounds low to break down connective tissue, was it tender? I ran mine at 225 for the 6 hours but smoked the same. Looks great

Thanks Amanda!!!

It turned out fantastic and my parents loved it! It was fall off the bone tender, really tasty!!! Did you cook up yours recently MulePackHunter?? Good stuff for sure!!! Have a great one

We served ours with stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean and cheese casserole, cranberry relish, ceasar salad, and corn bread, with pumpkin cheesecake

This is for others:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/trichinae/docs/fact_sheet.htm

I try to exceed this, which is for pork, (and NOT including microwave! not sure any dummies would try to cook their wild game in a micro, anyway):

Commercial preparation of pork products by cooking requires that meat be heated to internal temperatures which have been shown to inactivate trichinae. For example, Trichinella spiralis is killed in 47 minutes at 52° C (125.6° F), in 6 minutes at 55° C (131° F), and in < 1 minute at

60° C (140° F)

Heck ya, looks good. Them ribs and a gallon of beer would be a good dinner.