Sign in to follow this  
Rando

New to duck hunting; trying out some tank hopping

Hard to beat the fishing rod with a big top water bait like a super spook with quality over sized treble hooks. On the bigger ponds a float tube can be a life saver.

I either spoke them or miss them so no fishing rod is needed when I go.

• Like 1

If you really want to get into ducks tank hopping spend the 30 dollars a day or 50 for three days and hunt San Carlos rez. Up on the flats northeast of San Carlos. Its awesome right now. Ducks everywhere, and the geese are up there too.

Be ready to be humbled! I had no idea ducks could fly straight up so high that you actually lose sight of them! You would think they might explode they fly so high...

Spent the morning chasing ducks, man it was tough I didn't realize they were so jumpy. And the foliage really makes it hard to see them before they see you. I missed a green wing teal that gave me an easy shot on the first tank. Hit the coot behind him for my first duck ever so I'm happy with it. Spent the rest of the day spooking ducks off tanks. Learned a ton, have lots of respect for you duck hunters and am determined to get back out there next weekend and get some nice ducks. Thanks for all the tips!post-12262-0-50731300-1451867174_thumb.png

• Like 3

Update on my duck hunting quest.

I shot what I believe is a Scaup?? Would love someone to verify this because scaups seem to very in patterns. This is my second duck ever so I'm happy. I missed a lot of ducks and spooked even more. The foliage around tanks is frustrating.

Also I learned a valuable lesson by getting shot in the face. My buddy was 120 yards to the southwest of me and shot a duck that was flying about 2 feet over the water. Some of the BB's skipped off the water, went way left and one of them hit me less than an inch from my eyeball. I feel pretty lucky just having a little bruise and will be wearing eye protection and will make sure we are all on the same sides of the tank from now on.

Won't stop me from trying to figure out this duck hunting stuff tho! I will be back out this weekend!

post-12262-0-15054400-1452617370.jpg

• Like 1

Update on my duck hunting quest.

I shot what I believe is a Scaup?? Would love someone to verify this because scaups seem to very in patterns. This is my second duck ever so I'm happy. I missed a lot of ducks and spooked even more. The foliage around tanks is frustrating.

Also I learned a valuable lesson by getting shot in the face. My buddy was 120 yards to the southwest of me and shot a duck that was flying about 2 feet over the water. Some of the BB's skipped off the water, went way left and one of them hit me less than an inch from my eyeball. I feel pretty lucky just having a little bruise and will be wearing eye protection and will make sure we are all on the same sides of the tank from now on.

Won't stop me from trying to figure out this duck hunting stuff tho! I will be back out this weekend!

looks like a goldeneye
  • Like 1