Myself and the family were up in the Happy Jack area this weekend and got some pics from the Moqui tower and Mormon Lake. There were at least 300 elk out in the middle with 40 of them being bulls. I saw a couple that were pretty big. One in particular hard dark chocolate antlers. The hummingbirds were at the top of the tower. The orange ones only show up in Arizona around July and stay for a month. David

IMG_9550.jpg

IMG_9560.jpg

IMG_9563.jpg

IMG_9566.jpg

IMG_9568.jpg

IMG_9569.jpg

Neat pictures David.

It was good to finally meet you this weekend.

Any idea what plants the elk are eating out in the lake bed? I've heard that is what pulls them down there. Hmm, maybe a good plant to use for a food plot! :ph34r: :lol: :lol:

It was great meeting you also. Thanks again for the water valve tool. I didn't find any leaks the whole weekend. David

That stinky herd of elk is neat but that orange hummer is awesome!

Agreed!! He is an AWESOME looking little bird.. I've never seen one that looked like that.. thanks for sharing the pic!! I am a bird fanatic and love to see new and different species like that.

The brown colored one is called a rufous, we saw a ton of then on the north rim a couple years ago. Nice pictures.

Mike

The brown colored one is called a rufous, we saw a ton of then on the north rim a couple years ago. Nice pictures.

Mike

That is weird.....in Colorado last week I had that exact same humminbird stuck in my room ( door was open ) I caught him and showed Pops how purdy he was and let him go. Our buddy had told us it was a Rufous Humminbird as well. He had 4 feeders goin' and there would be an absolute SWARM of hummers around the kitchen window all day, looked and sounded like a swarm of bees.......I'm not jokin', never seen anything like it! The Rufous's were aggressive and didn't like to share with the other different species of hummers! Way cool pic's David ;)

Nice pics! Those rufous hummingbirds are beautiful! I have been seeing more and more of them lately. Had one flying around my backyard the other day so I just had to put up a feeder to keep him around and get some better looks at him.

Amanda

We set up feeders every year and we get alot of the Rufous birds, they are aggressive, I went out one day wearing my St. Louis Cardinals Red and one came right up to my shirt and hovered there for about a minute 1 inch from my chest, was pretty cool. I have been dive bombed a few times, but just was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was hunting with my kids one Spring and we saw one land in its nest so we went over and looked and it was all made of spider web adn was about 2 inches across and 1 inch deep. Pretty cool little birds. I saw a ruby throated hummingbird up in the peaks one year near lockett meadow that was the prettiest I have seen. AG