Sign in to follow this  
metau

Broad head weight for a low poundage bow?

My wife has finally started shooting her bow again. I'm hopeful that she will be comfortable enough to go after some Javi's during the HAM season. Anyways, she is currently shooting at only 28 lbs, but I plan on working her up towards 32-33 lbs. Her arrows are right at 300 grains, without a head. I shoot 125's, and thought that's what I had put on there, but her field points are only 100grs. Should I switch her over to 125's now so she can shoot my Montecs, or keep her at 100? And if I keep her at 100, especially with the low poundage, what CoC broad heads should I go with? If I move her up to 125's, should I go with a different head that is smaller diameter?

Thanks.

425 grains is a ton for 33lbs I wouldn't go that way. my nephew shot 2 pigs first 2 years of hunting with a 40lb pse spider with a 350gr arrow and killed both with one shot I would go with 75 or 100 fixed blade. or even a 85 grain montec. make sure its a fixed blade and she will kill them just fine at 20 yards no problem. heres some heads weve used at low poundage and done good. muzzy 75 gr 3 blade, magnus stinger 85 or 100. muzzy 4 blade 100gr.

dont look at any kinetic energy charts first. Set up a few different weight arrows and test your penetration. No mechanicals! My wife shoots a 400 grain arrow with a 100 grain slicktrick. 30 yard kill. 40 pound bow. Also very convenient as I shoot the same arrow :) She could easily lose a 100 grains. At low poundage your kinetic energy is very minimal difference with a lighter arrow. NOW after 30 yards her pin gap is super far because of this. ballistic gel testing would be fun but who has that laying around? Awesome she is going to hunt with you. My wife has been hunting with me almost a decade now and it is the best.

Not doing any mechanicals. Don't want to loose any energy having to deploy blades. I almost picked up some 75gr muzzy mix-3's, thinking the 125's might be too much, but they are not a CoC head. As low as her poundage is, I'm wasn't sure if it had to be a CoC tip or if one of the chisel tips would work as well.

Not to complicate things further, but would anything need to change for deer season next year? Aside from upping poundage as much as she can?

Thanks.

Shoot a good fixed broadhead and no less than 350gn total arrow weight, including the broadhead. I would shoot a heavy arrow with a lot of weight on the end to help with penetration

Try all the different weights and which ever one shoots and tunes the best use it.

My wife killed her pig last January at 40yrds total passed through at 35-40lbs with a arrow and Broadhead Weight of 275gn. GT velocity XT 600s 5.7gpi 0.003 straightness with muzzy 75gn. Also Using mini Blazers 1.5". Hope that helps good luck

Shoot a good fixed broadhead and no less than 350gn total arrow weight, including the broadhead. I would shoot a heavy arrow with a lot of weight on the end to help with penetration

dang! I use a lighter arrow then that at 70lbs. 335gn total

azhamill, you must be really close to dry firing your bow. Speed guy huh? One day you will shoot a big game animal and wonder why your penetration stinks and the blood trail is minimal at best.

Light arrows dissipates energy/momentum extremely quick no matter how fast it gets there. If someone threw a ping pong ball and a golf ball at you, which would you rather get hit with? Ping pong ball got there faster but it doesn't hit as hard.

GreyGhost is spot on. at least 15 to 17 percent FOC and 350 to 400 grains total arrow weight with COC fixed heads would be a good set up for the OP's wife.

• Like 1

She is shooting a compound right?

As long as the arrows are tuned any of the 300-450gr arrows are fine. A 2blade head will give better penetration. Avoid lighter arrows. Look at Simmons treesharks, muzzy, cutthroat, vpa. If my recurve can slice through big game I am sure her poundage can as well with a good weight arrow. My recurve shoots a 675gr arrow at only 180ish fps. Pretty sure hers is atleat that zippy. She should have no problem once she hits that 30lb mark.