Sign in to follow this  
bmf1321

????'s

I can imagine that was tough to deal with, I have been in the Weminuche and there is some high altitude and nowhere to hide up

on the divide. I was hunting with Rocky Mountain Outfitters and a storm made a tree fall on one of the wall tents at another camp.

I was bowhunting elk in Montana in 1990 and was clawing my way up the side of a steep mountain when a storm hit with thunder and lighting on top of the mountain, rocks where knocked loose and came rolling down the mountain towards me, scared the heck out of me, I was by myself and got the heck out of there asap. Scary stuff that lightning!

I can imagine that was tough to deal with, I have been in the Weminuche and there is some high altitude and nowhere to hide up

on the divide. I was hunting with Rocky Mountain Outfitters and a storm made a tree fall on one of the wall tents at another camp.

I owned a resort at Vallecito Lake and guided in the Weminuche for three years for both hunting and fishing. We were a couple miles away from two major trailheads, so I put lots of miles in the wilderness on horseback. The lightning incident happened at about 12,000 feet, not too far from where the photo below of my son and I was taken. Those are a couiple of 14-teeners in the background.

Thunderstorms are a regular occurrence there, but it's tough to find a safe place way up above timberline. The only thing to do is get down the slopes away from the highest areas. -TONY

Weminuche3opt.jpg

Have to agree Tony burnt human flesh is the worst and most chilling smell I've ever experienced.

Buckhorn

The only other nauseating smell that came close was when I got sprayed by a skunk that ventured into a cage trap I had set for coons, which had been raiding our dumpster in Colo. -TONY

Pheeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww!

Was that picture taken of emerald lake or is that father back!

No, that is tiny Donut lake, just off the Continental Divide and miles from Emerald, which isn't too far up and off the Pine River Trail.

Funny story coming:

The local game warden and I were heading up the Pine R. trail to ride a routine patrol loop and come down the Vallecito Trail, with overnight at Rock lake. It started raining so we donned our long yellow rain slickers. As we got to the bridge where the Emerald L. trail comes in to the Pine R. trail, we met two backpackers. So we stopped to chat a bit.

They both had fishing rods sticking out of their packs, so Gene asked them how the fishing had been. They were ecstatic to tell us they had caught a ton of fish and had trout for dinner every night.

Sooo..Gene leaned over, stuck out his hand as if to shake and said,"I'm Gene Basset with the Colo. Div. of Wildife. Can I see your fishing licenses please?"

Duh! Had he not had on his slicker, they would have seen his CDOW patch on his shirt.

Of course, neither of them had licenses, so he cited them and confiscated their fishing tackle with the caveat,"You can pick this stuff up at the CDOW office in Durango when you come in to pay your fines." -TONY

Funny story, Tony. Coulda said "Here's your sign" but that would have been before the times. Did the hikers have the draw dropping, ya gotta be chittin me face?

Funny story, Tony. Coulda said "Here's your sign" but that would have been before the times. Did the hikers have the draw dropping, ya gotta be chittin me face?

Doug,

They certainly were surprised. I recall the one kid, about 18, saying something, "We didn't think we needed a state license to fish on federal land," but Basset wasn't having none of that.

He once cited a personal friend of mine for fishing on the lake without a license. That's another funny story.

Two of them had come from PHX to fish for pike. So that night I told them to make sure they buy their licenses that night. The next day, I had one with me and the other was in a boat with my youngest son. We were fishing about a 1/2 mile apart when I saw Basset's boat heading up the lake toward us. o i told the guy with me to get his license ready to show him. He then says, "Ohh, Ray didn't buy one, figuring he could get away with it."

Next thing we see basset stop near my son's boat, and few minutes later, Ray is getting in the warden's boat and heading off to jail because he said he didn't have the money on him to pay the fine.

About 1/2 way to the ramp, Basset turns the boat around and heads back toward us. He pulls alongside me and says, "tony, this guy claims he's a friend of yours." He then explains the jail bit. By now, I'm fuming. I told Gene that I would vouch for the fine if he doesn't pay it. When he left, I really laced into Ray, of course. -TONY