Sign in to follow this  
bmf1321

????'s

I've always wondered but never asked and have never gotten a definite answer on what do do in certain situations that may, although hopefully don't oiccur when hunting/ hiking/ camping.

1. If you are out in the middle of the mountain/ desert and in the middle of a lightning storm what do you do? Supoose you are not able to leave because you are miles from civilization and do not have a vehicle to get into.

2. What do you do if you get bitten by a rattlesnake in the same situation as above?

Thanks.

1) Stay low. Don't be the object standing higher than your surroundings. Don't hold a metal or graphite object (gun, arrows)

2) a) Try to remain calm (I said try) B) Remove any jewelry that will get tight when the swelling hits. c) If you can (if your cell works) call for help and they can meet you back at your vehicle and get help started on the way. d) Don't run but calmly walk back to vehicle. You don't want your heart rate up. e) Don't cut and suck, don't apply suction. Ice helps slow the blood flow but you probably need to be back at the truck to get ice. A tournicate is not a good idea unless you know how to do it.

1- so would it be better to be in an area with trees etc around, they would be taller than me. Or would it be best to lie flat in an area that has little to no vegetation?

2- seems like getting back to civilization is the only option. not much you can do in the field. if the truck was very far away, my heart rate would probably raise due to the length of the walk/ difficulty of terrain. do people die from snake bites?

here is what AZ dept of health services says about snakebite first aid. They say don't use ice, and I remember reading that somewhere else, but I don't remember the reasoning. I think it has the potential to cause more damage to the tissue somehow.

And no, I don't think people generally die from snakebites. But a rattlesnake bite can cause lots of tissue damage and pain.

Snake Bite: Venomous (Poisonous) or Unknown Snake

( Activate emergency medical services (911);

➔ If unable to activate emergency medical services, transport to the nearest

emergency room or urgent care immediately. Carry the victim to the

car or van. Direct another adult to call ahead and alert the emergency

care facility that antivenin treatment may be needed;

➔ Keep the victim calm. Keep the bitten body part below the level of the

heart and remove jewelry from the affected area immediately;

➔ Wash the area with cold water. DO NOT apply ice or immerse in ice

water;

➔ For an arm or leg, if you are far from emergency help, apply a constricting

band (NOT A TOURNIQUET) immediately above the bite

(between the bite and the heart) while transporting. Move it gradually as

the swelling advances, always making sure it is loose enough for a finger

to easily slide between the band and the arm or leg;

➔ Use a splint or sling to keep an arm or leg immobilized;

➔ DO NOT use snake bite kits or tourniquets;

➔ DO NOT use a “cut and suck” procedure;

➔ DO NOT rub or stimulate the wound site;

➔ If unable to activate emergency medical services, transport to the nearest

emergency room or urgent care immediately. Carry the victim to the

car or van. Direct another adult to call ahead and alert the emergency

care facility that antivenin treatment may be needed;

I tried to carry a 100lb lab that was bitten. I didn't make it 1/4 mile. I couldn't imagine trying to carry a hunting partner! Perhaps if there were enough in the hunting party. But I wouldn't want to waste time recruiting new help.

The dog did make it.

As far as lightning, I have heard to find the lowest ground possible and to never hide under any tree in a lightning storm, it is better to lay flat on open ground than to be under a tree, especially a tall one.

As far as snake bite, I purchased a pair of snakeproof hunting boots from cabelas for hunting the southern units during warmer weather. In my reply to the post 30B, you can see me wearing those boots in the javelina picture. A $100.00 investment is well worth it, compared to the aftermath of a snake bite, I have had a few close call encounters with snakes. I have read the best thing for snake bite is to identify the snake (for type) and get to a hospital ASAP, the Venom ER guy on tv said some people do more harm than good trying to do field treatments? With anitvenim going for $800.00 or more a vial, and a bad snake bite may require 10 bottles or more, it can get expensive in a hurry if a person is not insured.

Also never get into a cave. The lightning after it has hit the ground looks for open spaces and will get you quicker than in the open.

Buckhorn

The answer to your guestion is ........kiss your a*& good bye. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding, you got some good information from everyone. My Mother use to put us kids under the bed when it lightninged so you will find me in my truck scared to death. :( I've been bit on the boot and had several close calls with rattlers and I'm on the look out for those guys all the time. :unsure:

Really, they don't scare me that bad. :( :( :( :( :( :( :blink: :( :unsure: :(

Okay, only thing to add is : the best tools for a snakebite is your cell phone and car keys. Get to an ER ASAP and whatever you do DO NOT USE A TOURNIQUET. Pressure bands are believed to actual do more harm than good. Nothing like getting a 'bolus of venom once the band is released. Ice doesn't do anything except cause frostbite and more tissue damage. Unfortunately persons still dead from snakebites but it's really not that common. It's usually due to some sort of hyper-immune response or extreme swelling of the airway. If I were to ever to get bit, I would remain as calm as possible and keep reminding myself that "time is tissue" so hauling myself to the ER would be my first option. Keep in mind you'll need to do all this whilst your blood pressure is dropping and you're very nauseated from the pain/venom. Plus you'll need to pay upwards of $80,000 dollars for an average snakebite if you're uninsured and/or your insurance company tries to prove the bite was your fault so it does have to pay out.... ;) . Bottom line watch where you place your hands and legs.

About the lighting... think about all the cool psychic powers you'll have after being hit, if you survive. Really though, I can't add anything to what has already been posted, stay low and away from metal. Or you can find a cave so you can ride out the storm but most caves are inhabited by rattlesnakes, skunks and bats. So then you'll have to worry about getting rabies or bite by the snake which puts you back to the first answer. :P Be careful out there and use the buddy system is my game plan.

E

"If you lay down in the open during an electrical storm, don't lay on a snake. That about covers it!:) " !!!! Dang, that was funny !!! Good one.

I got stuck up on a mountain top in a SERIOUSLY large thunderstorm one time, I quickly ran to the most covered spot I could find.

I layed down "NEAR" a mid sized pine tree.

There were lots of TV and Cell towers up taller than where I was. .. . . but BOOM! Lightning decided to blow the top off the tree I was under!

Yeah, so basically doesn't matter what you do, just find a dry spot and pray. Don't climb the trees though ha ha ha

And dont be a tree hugger. :lol:

Snakebites have been answered perfectly by amanda. (good info there)

One of the worse things I had to ever do in my life was pack a crew into Colorado's Weminuche Wilderness in 1976 so we could bring out the bodies of two guys who had been killed by a lightning strike while riding along the Continental Divide trail, which follows the -- well, literally the spine of the Continental Divide well above timberline.

There were actually four guys riding in single file. The first and second ones in line were each leading two pack animals. The other two were following along on their own mounts. The bolt directly hit the lead rider and pretty much split him and his mount in two. It then passed into the ground where the steel horseshoes of the other horses picked up on it. The second rider also succumbed to the shock and burns he received. All of the horses -- six in all -- associated with these two riders also died.

The third rider in the string was knocked unconscious off his horse but survived with minor burns and a big wad of s--t in his pants. His horse wasn't so lucky. The last rider was pretty much unscathed except for a minor burn or two. He rode back to the trailhead to alert authorities -- a trip of about 10 hours from where they were.

I gotta tell ya, watching the sheriff's deputies stuff the halves of the first rider in a body bag wasn't a neat scene to watch. And I had to lash them on to the pack horses. The worst part was the stench of burnt flesh. -TONY

[quote name='Outdoor Writer' date='Jul 31 2007, 04:29 PM' post='70254'

The worst part was the stench of burnt flesh. -TONY

Have to agree Tony burnt human flesh is the worst and most chilling smell I've ever experienced.

Buckhorn