Sign in to follow this  
Mountainman99

Same hunt for first and second choice?

The Department operates the draw in 3 rounds. Random numbers are assigned during each round of the drawing. 1st is the Bonus Pass where only those applications with bonus points are considered for tags. 20% of the tags for each hunt ( or species for bison and sheep) are given to those with the most points during this stage of the drawing. If you have more bonus points than anyone else that applied for that hunt number, you get drawn. The computer will look at your first two choices in this round, as mentioned above. If there are less tags in the Bonus Pass remaining than there are applicants in the next point group, then they look at the ones with the most points and then lowest random numbers amongst that point group and gets tags until the entire 20% has been issued. The next phase or the One, Two random pass is where the computer looks at your First and Second choices and the remaining 80% of the tags are available to be drawn. The Department's computer looks at lowest random numbers for that hunt number and the applications the lowest random number get drawn regardless of bonus points, however more bonus points in this round still gets you a better chance to have low random number. The computer will finally look at the 3-5 choices if there are still tags remaining after looking at all of the applicants first and second choices. The applicants with the lowest random numbers for each hunt with tags remaining will be issued tags until there are none left. Non-residents are limited to up to 10% of the tags. A max of half of that can be issued in the bonus pass, with the remain tag up to the 10% cap will be available in the One, Two pass.

The Department operates the draw in 3 rounds. Random numbers are assigned during each round of the drawing. 1st is the Bonus Pass where only those applications with bonus points are considered for tags. 20% of the tags for each hunt ( or species for bison and sheep) are given to those with the most points during this stage of the drawing. If you have more bonus points than anyone else that applied for that hunt number, you get drawn. The computer will look at your first two choices in this round, as mentioned above. If there are less tags in the Bonus Pass remaining than there are applicants in the next point group, then they look at the ones with the most points and then lowest random numbers amongst that point group and gets tags until the entire 20% has been issued. The next phase or the One, Two random pass is where the computer looks at your First and Second choices and the remaining 80% of the tags are available to be drawn. The Department's computer looks at lowest random numbers for that hunt number and the applications the lowest random number get drawn regardless of bonus points, however more bonus points in this round still gets you a better chance to have low random number. The computer will finally look at the 3-5 choices if there are still tags remaining after looking at all of the applicants first and second choices. The applicants with the lowest random numbers for each hunt with tags remaining will be issued tags until there are none left. Non-residents are limited to up to 10% of the tags. A max of half of that can be issued in the bonus pass, with the remain tag up to the 10% cap will be available in the One, Two pass.

makes sense. that said, how does having a lot of bonus points help you get a low "random" number? because if it did, it wouldn't be random. I thought you got your name tossed in the hat again for every bonus point you have.

while i'm not too particular about this elk hunt, i'll probably draw that late archery tag, though it would be nice to know i had at least a shot at the rifle tag. i'm not sure how to approach the draw with these 2 hunts in mind.

it does make a difference to me for deer however. right now i'm banking points while i whack the first deer that walks in front of me during archery season. however, i would like to enter the draw when i i get 10 bonus points. (when i hit 10 points, i probly won't shoot a buck w/ my bow unless it's a monster) i think i have 7 right now. but i'm pretty set on 13b, unless the deer situation changes up there. So, how do i approach that? just put in 13b for my first choice and leave the rest blank? or put in for 13b on every choice?

makes sense. that said, how does having a lot of bonus points help you get a low "random" number? because if it did, it wouldn't be random. I thought you got your name tossed in the hat again for every bonus point you have.

while i'm not too particular about this elk hunt, i'll probably draw that late archery tag, though it would be nice to know i had at least a shot at the rifle tag. i'm not sure how to approach the draw with these 2 hunts in mind.

it does make a difference to me for deer however. right now i'm banking points while i whack the first deer that walks in front of me during archery season. however, i would like to enter the draw when i i get 10 bonus points. (when i hit 10 points, i probly won't shoot a buck w/ my bow unless it's a monster) i think i have 7 right now. but i'm pretty set on 13b, unless the deer situation changes up there. So, how do i approach that? just put in 13b for my first choice and leave the rest blank? or put in for 13b on every choice?

You can do either and it will have the exact same effect. However, if you are applying for 13b rifle it won't matter. You won't be anywhere near the bonus pass with 10 points.

• Like 1

" that said, how does having a lot of bonus points help you get a low "random" number? because if it did, it wouldn't be random."

One random number for the application plus an additional random number for each group bonus point (which includes the Hunter Education and Loyalty bonus points) is generated for that application. The lowest random number generated for an application is used in the drawing process. An application receives a new random number for each Pass of the Big Game Draw.

• Like 3

With all that said my dad drew unit 10 early bull last year with 0 points. So it all makes sense until doesn't.

That is why it is called a random draw. While the guy with 10 points may have a better chance, the guy with 0 points still has a chance.

It is like buying a lottery ticket. Sure the guy that buys 100 tickets has a slightly better chance (while still being a long shot), but that doesn't mean the guy that bought one can't win it.

You can do either and it will have the exact same effect. However, if you are applying for 13b rifle it won't matter. You won't be anywhere near the bonus pass with 10 points.

true, but, last i checked, you get legit draw odds at 10 points. (it was a few years back, before the that draw odds website started charging for their services, now i don't know where to look.) anything below 10 points was miniscule.

seems guys have been pulling that tag regularly with 14 points, that i've heard anyways. im sure it will go up a point or 3 by the time i get there.